A Warning to Would Be Plagiarists

Herema

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 09:24 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Well now, I hope you can all understand why I don't read any books while I am writing.......
I try to be as culturally illiterate as possible....
Joe(I avoid reading Edgar's posts too , they are too too good.)Nation

Absolutely amazing. It is a smart writer who avoids the writings of others...even Stephen King avoids giving advice to wannabe writers because of previous $$ hunters accusing him of stealing their works or ideas. I stopped watching television over five years ago, deliberately do not read....although I promise myself one day to read the classics and greats because they ARE inspiring....and still.....people tell me that my writing ideas remind them of this or that book or movie.

Joe? you are not the assemblyman, I assume.....and the blogger is quite interesting...even though I only hit the highlights....too good to chance "internalizing." "...listening while not listening?" How about, "...reading while not reading?"

me agapi kai filia
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 09:29 am
Other writers do the same as Joe. Erskine Caldwel, for one. He said early on, "There are those who read them and those who write them. I prefer to write them." I have to say, much as I loved Caldwel, some of his passages were so terribly written that I found myself laughing with embarrassment. Regardless, I can love a writer, along with the faults, sometimes.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 09:58 am
I feel that way about lyricists maybe but not novelists.
0 Replies