So???????
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 06:32 pm
What was it they did wrong?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 09:22 pm
Two were from MA. They were detained for, for, what was it.... for some sort of conduct issue.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:32 am
Totally symbolic, but imo not a complete waste of time.

The Darfur disaster is the latest in the long list of UN failures to act when faced with undeniable evil.

Shall the US preemptively take care of the situation, as we did in the Balkans, Haiti, and Iraq? Can we look forward to protests or is this a cool war?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:36 am
Good for them for doing what they can to attract attention to the issue
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:51 am
You think it's good for lawmakers to draw attention to an issue by breaking the law?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:31 am
Tico, certainly it's good. All kinds of people got busted protesting apartheid in S. Africa and calling for Mandela's release from prison. Very effective campaign.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:38 am
blueflame1 wrote:
Tico, certainly it's good. All kinds of people got busted protesting apartheid in S. Africa and calling for Mandela's release from prison. Very effective campaign.

Read my prior post and focus on the word "lawmakers." Same answer, I presume?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 04:03 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
You think it's good for lawmakers to draw attention to an issue by breaking the law?

If need be, yep. We're talking about an ongoing genocide here, and nothing else seems to have succeeded.. "Unlawful assembly" in front of the Sudanese embassy doesnt seems too exaggerated a step to take, in face of apathy vis-a-vis ongoing mass slaughter. Kudos to 'em.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 06:51 pm
Tico, yeah same answer. Lawmakers did get arrested protesting against apartheid in the 80s.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 06:50 am
paull wrote:
Shall the US preemptively take care of the situation, as we did in the Balkans, Haiti, and Iraq?

Wouldn't that require time-travel, seeing as the atrocities are happening now?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 07:54 am
Ticomaya wrote:

What is worse, is WHERE in the Oath of Office that these US CONGRESSPEOPLE TAKE, does it say that US LAWMAKERS get involved in other nations internal affairs, which are illegal IN THAT NATION?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 07:55 am
Obviously he meant preempt the UN.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 11:25 am
And would the left applaud the introduction of American Troops in Darfur?

After all, we must stop the genocide? We are only neglecting them because they are Blacks--clear cut racism.

The left will not point out that the murderous genocide is being perpetrated by the Muslim groups in that country. The same kind of fanatic killers found in Iraq, Iran and Palestine.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:37 pm
I thought the US wasn't the world police? What are all the other countries of the world doing about Darfur?

We have our hands full at the moment, it would be nice to see Sweden or Denmark, or Germany or France or someone to take the matter into their own hands and do something about besides complain about the US not doing something.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:16 pm
McGentrix-I am sure that you realize that the left would love to smear the administration for doing nothing to prevent the "genocide" in Darfur, thus proving that the administration is not disposed to aid people of color. Your query about the enlightened countries of Sweden, Denmark, France or Germany becoming involved falls on deaf ears. Such aid would indeed help the people in Darfur but would upset the left's smear campaign.

That is why the NY Times will not call on the Euro block for help!!!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:55 pm
BernardR wrote:
And would the left applaud the introduction of American Troops in Darfur?

I dont know about "the left", but I would - if part of a UN mission.

BernardR wrote:
The left will not point out that the murderous genocide is being perpetrated by the Muslim groups in that country.

What are you on about here? Everyone know the Sudanese regime is Muslim - I've never seen anyone writing about Darfur trying to obscure that fact.

McGentrix wrote:
I thought the US wasn't the world police? What are all the other countries of the world doing about Darfur?

Too ****ing little - especially if we're talking the mighty & the powerful (at least the African Union has done something, if also too little).

IMO tho, that makes them as guilty of inaction in the face of genocide as the US - and vice versa. What's the point of pointing fingers at each other when a people is being murdered? One party's apathy does nothing to defend another's.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:59 pm
But nimh ... how can the US take military action without UN approval?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 06:08 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
But nimh ... how can the US take military action without UN approval?

It all depends upon whether or not the CIA tells George about all the oil in Dafur.

Joe(oh, that's different)Nation
0 Replies