Smith Code

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:09 pm
This is from Yahoo news Smith Code

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Three weeks after a British court passed judgment in the copyright case involving Dan Brown's bestseller "The Da Vinci Code," a lawyer has uncovered what may be a secret message buried in the text of the ruling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lawyer Dan Tench noticed some letters in the judgment had been italicized, and it suddenly dawned on him that they spelled a phrase that included the name of the judge: "Smith code."

Justice Peter Smith, who during the trial displayed a sense of humor unusual in the rarified world of bewigged barristers and ancient tradition, appears to have embraced the mysterious world of codes and conspiracy that run through the novel.

"I thought it was a mistake, that there were some stray letters that had been italicized because the word processor had gone wrong," Tench told Reuters.

Tench initially told The Times newspaper that apparently random letters in the judge's ruling appeared in italics. Wouldn't it be clever if the judge had embedded a secret message in the text? The Times ran a jokey item.

"And then I got an e-mail from the judge," said Tench.

He said Smith told him to look back at the first paragraphs. The italicized letters scattered throughout the judgment spell out: "smithcodeJaeiextostpsacgreamqwfkadpmqz."

Those in the first paragraphs spell out "smith code."

But what does the rest mean?

So "smithcodeJaeiextostpsacgreamqwfkadpmqz." Anyone know what the rest means?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,099 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:41 pm
Doesn't mean a thing; imaginations only run wild to find something that isn't there.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 02:08 am
Could be, might all be jibberish. Who knows, mabee this judge did it as a wind up. The fact the first part comes out with "smith code" makes me believe its not just random and why go to all the trouble of winding everyone up. Anyway, it's unsolved (at the moment) , if it's gibberish, it will remain unsolved, if there's a code to be cracked, I thought mabee someone who likes these things would enjoy the challenge.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 04:04 pm
The trick is to start a new alphabetical sequence at the point in the conventional sequence indicated by the relevant number in the Fibonacci sequence, an ancient number progression in which each number is the sum of the two numbers preceding it. The first eight numbers in it are 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21.

"Smithy Code" is left untouched - it is there to alert the reader to the existence of a hidden text.

As the first two letters then, "J" and "A" remain unchanged because they are tied to the Fibonacci numbers 1 and 1. From then on in the judge's code, the alphabet shifts down one place - so the E becomes D - (representing the Fibonacci 2), and then two places (representing the 3) and then four places (representing the 5) and so on for each of the following letters.

(Note: There are four errors in the code).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 07:07 pm
Tryagain, I was personally impressed to see that you were able to come up with any formula to figure out the "code." I thought it was jibberish to begin with. Can you tell us what it says (with the mistakes)?
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 11:33 pm
0 Replies