Make Money by Spanking Employees?

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 02:28 pm
Spanked employee seeks $1.2 million

Quote:
FRESNO, California (AP) -- Lawyers for a woman spanked in front of co-workers as part of what her employer said was a team-building exercise asked a jury Wednesday for at least $1.2 million for the humiliation she says she suffered.

Janet Orlando, 53, quit her job at the home security company Alarm One Inc. and sued, alleging discrimination, assault, battery and infliction of emotional distress. . . .

Lawyers for Alarm One, which is based in Anaheim, California, and has 300 employees, said the spankings were part of a voluntary program to build camaraderie and were not discriminatory because they were given to both male and female workers.

"This is being done for one reason and one reason only -- money," said K. Poncho Baker, the company's lawyer.

Do you think this woman will win her lawsuit?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,901 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 02:34 pm
I'm torn. If it was voluntary, then the suit should be thrown out. But on the other hand, this has got to be one of the worst motivational tools I've ever read about or heard of, so I'd like to see her win just to teach them that this is not a team building exercise, even though they've stopped doing it.
Wow, was that a bad idea. Truly stunningly awful. You're just inviting problems like this. Wow!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 02:37 pm
Sorry Debra, Reyn trumped you on this one....

spanked woman
0 Replies

Cheri Amour

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 06:18 am
A jury awarded $1.7 million Friday to a woman who was spanked in front of her colleagues in what her employer called a camaraderie-building exercise.
The jury of six men and six women found that Janet Orlando, 53, was subjected to sexual harassment and sexual battery when she was paddled on the rear end two years ago at Alarm One Inc., a home security company in Fresno. The jury said Orlando did not suffer from sexual assault, as she had alleged.

Jurors awarded Orlando $10,000 for economic loss, $40,000 for future medical costs and $450,000 for emotional distress, pain and suffering. They awarded her an additional $1.2 million in punitive damages.

Orlando's attorney, Nicholas "Butch" Wagner, did not immediately return calls for comment.

K. Poncho Baker, an attorney for Alarm One, said it was excessive.

"I think the jury was so upset at Alarm One that they went overboard," Baker said. "Not to say that what Alarm One did was right, but this allows her to manipulate the system."

Orlando quit in 2004, less than a year after she was hired, saying she was humiliated during the company's camaraderie-building exercises.

Sales teams were encouraged to compete, and the losers were made fun of, forced to eat baby food, required to wear diapers and spanked with a rival company's yard signs, according to court documents.

Lawyers for the company said Orlando and others took part in the exercises willingly. The company has since abandoned the practice.

During the trial, company attorneys revealed that Orlando had sued a previous employer, also claiming that she had been sexually harassed.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:47 am
Thanks for posting news on the jury verdict.

I doubt that the plaintiff will ever see that 1.7 million, but it certainly sends a strong message to business America that these types of humiliating "motivational" tactics will not be tolerated.
0 Replies