• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 429 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 06:12 am
So what are you asking?

Are you asking about stem cell research?
Global Warming?
Public policy?
Young people contributing to society?

You have merged so many topics into one quick thread and then tossed down a few questions which standing on their own do not seem to directly connect into your original statements. Please clarify what you are looking for here.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:46 am
sturgis

I do not think average citizens participate in public policy and furthermore I do not think they are prepared to participate in public policy.

Political action takes various forms. We do have partisan involvement in politics. I am interested in the citizen developing the means to participate in discussion and formulation of public policy.

The normal political activities are good and valid but I am interested in going far beyond these activities.

I think that the corporate elite is the matador who deflects the activities of the bull (people) to charge at the politicians and thereby never noticing who controls both the bull (people) and the politicians. The people and the politicians are controlled by the power elite.

The power elite use the politicans to divert the attention of the people so as to appear that the people have some voice in policy. The people and the politicians do have some part in public policy but primarily these decisions are made by those who remain unseen.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:59 am
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 02:55 pm
coberst wrote:

I am interested in how we might turn this situation around such that citizens become active participants of public policy.

You have to grab hold of a child in their formative years and find the tools to help encourage them to take part. If this is done correctly then they will grow into adults with an essentially inherent interest in being a part of what is happening within their world instead of sitting back barely giving notice.
0 Replies