Computer specs for gaming

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:03 pm
Well, my new little laptop won't be able to run Oblivion (I'm devastated!). So, now I want to find a different game that I can play. There must be something good (that I like) which I can run.

How about this one: Call Of Cthulhu. It requires a PC with minimum specifications of P3 500, a 32mb Direct 3D compatible graphics card and 128mb RAM.

My Acer Aspire 5000 has this to say about itself:

Technology ML-32
1.8 GHz, 960 MB of RAM

I can't find out where to look for the vid card. It has one, but it's verra basic.

edit: I found this online:

Graphics Processor / Vendor - SiSM760GX
Video Memory - Shared video memory (UMA)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 786 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 12:23 am
This is really not a gaming computer due to the integrated graphics card which uses system memory rather than it's own.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:41 pm
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

And, there's nothing I can do to remedy that?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 07:51 am
The shared system RAM is somewhat slower than dedicated memory on a video card would be (they use different technologies).

But with the rest of your system so much above the minimum requirements, I'd think it would work.

The real question, IMO, is whether the video card is direct 3D compatible.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:04 am
The reviews I read of the Aspire 5000 is not very promising. It could not run the GrandTourismo tests, and another site said not to expect to play very many games on it.

None specifically addressed the 3D issue, but one mentioned that the DVD-RW drive probably drove down the quality of the rest of the components.

I've been successful in getting some games to run on under-powered laptops, but they always had problems (slow rendering, or getting stuck at certain points).

Sorry I can't help more.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 05:37 pm
May or may not help to reduce the display resolution and refresh rate - won't always solve inadequate resource problems, but sometimes it helps.

Today's upper-end games typically require a graphics solution offering at least 64 Megs of memory, and few integrated graphics solutions will meet that. One of my laptops has a dedicated, as opposed to integrated, 64 MB graphics solution, and it still has some problems with some newer games. Another gaming bottleneck common to laptops is their display; flat panels just don't cut it for cutting-edge gaming. For out-and-out video performance, you oughtta see what a pair of 256MB video cards ganged and driving a calibrated precision 21" conventional CRT monitor do ... WOW!!! Of course, a solution of that nature requires an upper-end desktop with a 3+ Gig processor and a couple Gigs of system ram, along with a big, clunky monitor, and a buncha bucks, but .... WOW!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:54 pm
Thanks DrewDad, Timber.

I might have to wait a couple-three years before I can game again. It's very very sad.
0 Replies