Repent! The Rapture is at Hand!

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 11:27 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Is one of the criteria of being "rapture ready" wearing white tennis shoes, by any chance?

But never after Labor Day.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:19 pm
Any ideas how many Americans believe in this stuff?

This is doubtless a REALLY dumb question....but do all/most "born again" christians believe in this, or is there only a casual, or no, overlap in the two groups?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:21 pm
jespah wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
Is one of the criteria of being "rapture ready" wearing white tennis shoes, by any chance?

But never after Labor Day.

I thought you had to keep some sort of lamp burning, or is it just full of oil?

Oh, and be a virgin....and hang out in groups of seven?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 07:10 am
And a shrubbery . . . with a little, white picket fence ! ! !
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 07:14 am
dlowan wrote:
Any ideas how many Americans believe in this stuff?

This is doubtless a REALLY dumb question....but do all/most "born again" christians believe in this, or is there only a casual, or no, overlap in the two groups?

No idea, but if this article is anything to go by quite a lot:

http://dir.salon.com/story/books/feature/2002/07/29/left_behind/index.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 07:33 am
Millenarians who want to believe that they live at the "end of days" have been common throughout the history of christianity. Many of the earliest christians believed that "the second coming" would take place within their life times, and when the first century of the current era passed without the event, the church fathers had to do some fancy footwork to keep the faithful. Many of our current crop of millenarians were gravely disappointed that the year 2000 came and went without "the rapture," so i guess they've moved the date back a bit.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 07:48 am
Well, of course the world wouldn't end in the year 2000. 31st December 1999 wasn't the end of the Millennium or the 20th Century. Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:10 am
If a Christ showed up again on Earth, they'd put him away in an asylum.

As far as repenting, I do that on a daily basis, letting myself in know uncertain terms that I've made mistakes and willing to admit I might make them again in the future. Some of the have pleasurable results, some of them don't and those are the ones I really try to avoid.

The "end of days" is the same as the end-of-the-world paranoia which sometimes manifests itself in stupid, crazy talk. If there is, in fact, an astroid discovered that is headed for collision with Earth (the most likely end-of-the-world scenerio), we might even be able to divert that with technology. Otherwise, worrying about it is moot.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 11:07 pm
Is Jesus' Cumming why it's called Rapture? He is doing Mary Magdalene?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 01:48 am
Setanta wrote:
Millenarians who want to believe that they live at the "end of days" have been common throughout the history of christianity. Many of the earliest christians believed that "the second coming" would take place within their life times, and when the first century of the current era passed without the event, the church fathers had to do some fancy footwork to keep the faithful. Many of our current crop of millenarians were gravely disappointed that the year 2000 came and went without "the rapture," so i guess they've moved the date back a bit.

Ok...thanks for the answers folks....

But...I was a christian in my early years, and got told about the second coming, but had never heard of this rapture thing until a couple of years ago.

Which sects have such a belief, do people know?

(I WILL follow your link, Wolf, when I get home, but I haven't yet.)

I knew about the early christians, and folk in the year 1000, but not all the "end is nigh" folk believe in a rapture, do they? Where does it come from, this belief?

It seems to be spreading, wherever it appeared from....or is it just being written about more????
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:57 am
Wikipedia wrote:
The word "rapture" comes from the Latin verb rapere which means "to carry off, abduct, seize or take forcefully" (compare rape). It was used in the Latin Vulgate (about 405 A.D.) translation of 1 Thessalonians 4:17, which is the primary biblical reference to the event in question, rapiemur "we shall be caught up" translating the original harpagēsometha (passive mood, future tense of harpazō).

The Wikipedia article correctly identifies the particular phenomenon of "rapture" fixation with American religious wackos of the present era--but also points to early roots in christianity--never a stable bunch at the best of times.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 06:34 am
dlowan wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Ok...thanks for the answers folks....

But...I was a christian in my early years, and got told about the second coming, but had never heard of this rapture thing until a couple of years ago.

Which sects have such a belief, do people know?

(I WILL follow your link, Wolf, when I get home, but I haven't yet.)

I knew about the early christians, and folk in the year 1000, but not all the "end is nigh" folk believe in a rapture, do they? Where does it come from, this belief?

It seems to be spreading, wherever it appeared from....or is it just being written about more????

Around 1533 somesuch, the time of Luther, the baptists were quite millitant about it. They occupied a German city and were convinced that at a certain moment Christ would come and give them the new Jerusalem. They were mighty miffed at the prophet when he didn't though...

As for me, I always go in a state of rapture whenever I read one of Setanta's posts. Even when he politely points out for the twentieth time or somesuch that I misquote and misread him, his posts retain that essence of near linguistic perfection. Perhaps I should make a Setanta shrine.
Hmm...

Naj
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 06:35 am
I particularly like the article on Unfulfilled historical predictions by Christians, particularly this one:

2000 October: Jesus returns and defeats HRH The Prince of Wales, who is the Antichrist (Jim Searcy)

Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 09:05 am
Anyone builds a shrine to me, an' i'm comin' back after dark to burn the sonuvabitch down . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 09:18 am
Whoa! (Immersed in Wiki article ...and having moved to Buddhist theories about the end.....who knew they had one!)
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 08:50 pm
I took once seriously and the rapture is the period when the faithful are taken up before the Anti_Chirst appears and subject theworld to his evil rule (we have a mini-Anti-Christ in the person of GWB).
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:42 am
Have you been semi-raptured then? Sheesh.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:55 am
Very Happy Is that only making it to the stratosphere? Better have a space suit along with those white tennies.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 09:18 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Very Happy Is that only making it to the stratosphere? Better have a space suit along with those white tennies.

Don't you know? According to the "Left Behind" books, when the Rapture happens, you leave all your clothes behind. You go up naked as the day you were born.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 09:51 am
Only a lot hairier.
0 Replies