what language?

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 06:34 am
ok guys....

i have the opportunity to study a language next year as part of an arts major for my Bachlor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws.

I'm thinking one of my majors will be international relations and if i do that i'll be picking a language.

so....

Chinese
French
Japanese

whaddaya think????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 896 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:39 am
Id go with Norwiegen ffy. (or finnish)

whats that? ohhhhh one of those choices

chinese because of the opportunities that will arise over the next 10 to 20 years
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:52 am
I think it really depends on where you think you'll be practicing or which country/countries you think your clients might come from.

If Europe, you might go with French or German. South America? Spanish or Portuguese. Asia? Chinese (I think Mandarin rather than Cantonese, but I could be wrong about that) or Japanese, maybe even Tamil or Khmer. Africa? Probably Arabic or Hebrew.
0 Replies

ffydownunder

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 10:50 am
Well i'll either be in Australia, or back home in Europe.

Have already got 6 years of (basic) french which was my only reason for putting it on the list...

i would say that (i think) the 2 big powers over here at the minute are probably japan and china which is why i'm thinking about them...

dadpad - i was thinking along same lines as you with the china in 10-20 years time!

thanks all
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 02:25 pm
If you will be studying international relations, you will undoubtedly be studying the history of international relations as well as the current international system. Chinese and Japanese will be of little help in studying the history of international relations, where the international language of diplomacy (from the 17th to the 19th centuries) was French.

On the other hand, if you want to apply your language skills to your future legal career in Australia, then Chinese or Japanese would be good choices.
0 Replies

ffydownunder

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 07:33 am
i'm thinking that i'm going to pick french... i did it for 6 years at high school and i think i'll be fairly quick at picking it up again.

if i get a few years down the tack and find that I could benefit from an asian language then i can go and do a course then!

thanks again
0 Replies