IP Conflict

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:33 pm
I have a linksys G hub and I'm on wireless however I'm sharing it with other users who use the internet cable. What are we suppose to do to prevent IP Conflict? Is it possible that IP conflict mean that someone else is trying to hack (or trying to steal my comp's info)? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,778 • Replies: 8
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 12:45 am
Every network device needs a unique IP number (unique to the network(s) it's connected to that is) an IP conflict is when more than one network device have the same IP number.

Think of IP number as a phone number - if two people in different parts of town had the same phone number how would the exchange know which one to connect you to?

Now to fix it:

Assuming you are on windows pcs go to the dos command line (ie Start Run 'command')

now type ipconfig to find the pc's IP number (both the cable connected and the wireless one).

If those IP numbers are the same then you have an IP conflict. Set one of them to a different number for example if they are both is 10.0.0.15 make one 10.0.0.16 only change the number after the last '.' the number must be be in the range 0-255.

You set the ip address by going into network connections, choosing the network interface devices properties, clicking on TCP/IP and then properties.

This is the extremely rushed version - I'm counting on you knowing roughly what you're doing and not making things worse.

Good luck!
I didn't mention DHCP!
0 Replies

gbob

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 05:15 am
hmmmmmm me thinks if he thinks an IP conflict is a hacker then thats too advanced for him.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:06 pm
If you're getting a conflict, that means that two people using the network have specifically requested the same ip. To make it easy, EVERYONE using the network should set up the networking on their computer to use a DHCP server. The DHCP software will automatically assign a unique IP to each machine on the network.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 07:01 am
Help
Do you use Windows & DHCP?

Then u can do this ....

Right Click on the Local Area Network Connection icon from System Tray

Select "Status"

Click Properties button

Select TCP\IP from the List View and click Properties button ..OK ..OK ..OK

If you have a static IP then Note down all the info (IP, Gateways DHCP Server etc.) you see there... you may need it in future.

In General Tab click "Obtain IP Address Automatically" radio button

If it already has "Obtain IP Address Automatically" selected by default then you can do this

Type CMD in Programs\Run (i.e. Goto DOS Command Prompt")

Type ipconfig & press Enter
(Note the Ip Address)

Type ipconfig/release & press Enter
(This will disconnect your PC from LAN)

Type ipconfig/renew & press Enter
(This will reconnect your PC with LAN with Fresh Settings and IP)

Type ipconfig again
(Note the Ip Address... if this one is different that the previous IP then you are safe to carry on but if it is the same IP then you may need furthur Help from the LAN Adminstrator. he will resolve the conflict or give you a New One)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 07:06 am
I love the advice Windows always gives....

"Ask your network administrator."

DUH... If I had one I wouldn't be using help in Windows. Laughing
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:57 am
Actually, upon reading this again... DHCP won't work. You're using a HUB! Hubs are "dumb" devices. They cannot intelligently route packets or supply addresses to clients. The easiest way to fix this would be to use a router. It will do both of the aforementioned.
0 Replies

dou2ble

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 03:22 am
IP Conflict can be a hacker
If your machine has been hacked and he's trying to gain access to a DHCP network that monitors every IP address, he could essentially steal the ip assigned to you, block your ports, and have access to the network. Of course he'd need to also do some other things to fool the security guys.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:07 am
The original post was in April 2006. Hope he's fixed it by now - or maybe that's why he never replied....
0 Replies