I'm obsessed

flushd

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:18 am
with the LOR trilogy lately.

Especially the battles. Leading up to the battles, during the battles, afterwards.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for other movies that I could watch that deal with:
Loyalty/devotion
Facing battle despite horrible odds
Calls to war and the circumstances leading up to it
Honour

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 791 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:28 am
Well, Zulu and Gallipoli come to my mind immediately re facing horrible odds...and I assume there are films made about the Charge of the Light Brigade.

There is a film just about to be released about the Kokoda Trail...I don't know how good it is...

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18776124%255E2902,00.html

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2006/s1613138.htm

Lawrence of Arabia describes how the Arabs got inspired by TE Lawrence to fight the Turks in WW I....for all the bloody good it did them.

Breaker Morant looks....in a pretty cynical Australian way...at what is and isn't honour in war...set in the Boer War.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:22 am
Zulu is definitely great for facing battle despite horrible odds. Glory is pretty good for devotion, it's also an interesting story not told often. The call to war and circs. leading up to it? From Here to Eternity.

There are more, will try to get back to this.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:23 am
Im obsessed with the men in LOTR

oh yeah

the movie is good too. Very Happy
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:53 am
I thought immediately of Gallipoli, but dlowan already mentioned it.

Movies about battles against enormous odds (in addition to Zulu):
Kingdom of Heaven
The Alamo
55 Days at Peking
The 300 Spartans
Die Bruecke (The Bridge)
Battleground
Black Hawk Down
Khartoum
Henry V
(both the Olivier and the Branagh versions)
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:29 pm
Thank you for the great suggestions. That gives me a lot to choose from already. I'm not familiar with any of those films.

Smile
0 Replies