Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 09:30 pm
I adore Hayao Miyazaki animation. It's art. And the storylines are wonderful whether they're taken from Western tales or infused with Japanese mythology.

WHAT WIKIPEDIA SAYS

Below are some images. Not nearly the most beautiful, but of good quality and proper size for this forum. Also, these are just a few of the movies they've made.....

Totoro:
http://mokona.land.free.fr/gtotoro.jpg

Howl's Moving Castle:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.09/images/FF_144_anime1_f.jpg

Nausica:
http://nausicaa.wanfear.com/graphics/gallery/nausic10.jpg

Spirited Away:
http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/dvdreviews/spiritedawaycap.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,616 • Replies: 10
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 09:34 pm
We have "Totoro" right here! <waving it in front of the computer screen>

I've been impressed with Miyazaki for a long time (reading about him) but haven't seen anything yet. I'm looking forward to it!

"Avatar" is currently my favorite kid's show, it seems to me (without knowing a lot about Miyazaki) that there is an inspirational relationship there. (As in, Avatar is heavily informed by the Miyazaki canon...)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 09:42 pm
Totoro is good for tiny tots. I think the art work in that movie is amazing. The Sozlette might be a bit scared by some of the other movies.

Howl's Moving Castle isn't so scary. And, certainly Kiki's Delivery Service isn't scary either. Princess Mononoke and Nausica are fantastic, but a bit scary. Spirited Away has it's scary moments too. Pompoko is just bizare. Hmmm.... I think Castle In The Sky is ok too. A little bit of rambuctious gun-fire, and free-falling, but nothing too too scary (I think). I guess it all depends on how sensitive she is.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 11:42 pm
Oh, I meant to dig up your Pom Poko thread, k, I finally saw it a few weeks ago. Now that was a strange one!

We got a kick out of the whole magic scrotum thing, but I really didn't care for it too much overall...too depressing! Sad The man vs nature theme is good and worth exploring, but I just didn't quite like the way they handled it in that one as much as the others that deal with that subject...

Okay, so I know Totoro is for the tiny tots, but be honest now, wouldn't you just love to cuddle the big giant Totoro?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:29 am
Cypher, another man vs nature Miyazaki film is Princess Mononoke.

OH, totoro is for all of us. I melt everytime I see him.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:40 am
Studio Ghibli is about to release GEDO SENKI
(The Legend Of EarthSea) Goro Miyazaki the
son of Hayao directed it. I watched the trailer
on the Studio Ghibli web-site and it looks
great! It has to be better than that crappy
live action version that showed on Sci-Fi
a couple of years ago.Although the hero in this
version is white also and I know that upset
Ursela Leguin so much that she disowned the
first version. But I'm looking forward to it anyway
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:45 am
Love Miyazaki. I haven't seen Howl's Moving Castle yet but am looking forward to it. Castle in the Sky was just on cable a month or two ago. It was very imaginative but I didn't care for it quite as much as Spirited Away or My Neighbor Totoro or Princess Mononoke or Nausicaa.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:08 pm
k, Princess Mononoke is one of the ones I had in mind when I said that. I really enjoyed that one; I think it dealt with the subject more effectively and enjoyably than Pom Poko did-- I thought the urbanization of the land was kind of just tossed off at the end, like, oh, it's okay because a tiny handful of the raccoons survived and they have some dinky little park to frolic in! So we're all happy! Just a little too flip about it, I thought.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:06 pm
Theifoflight - that is very interesting news! Before watching the movie, I reread LeGuin's trilogy and then read the books that expanded on the first three. I loved those books as a youth and an adult. The movie glossed over a lot of elements, but I liked it. Can't wait to see the animated version.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 11:05 pm
I have Dasha hooked!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 12:26 am
Yep, ain't that the truth! The Cat Returns and the Castle in the Sky are under my belt right now. Ready to plunge for more. Want to see them all!
0 Replies