Is your belief system ready-made or custom-designed?

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:19 pm
I'm starting this thread for Lightsand Magic. We started a discussion on another thread and thought it a better idea to put it here.

Take it away, L&M!...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 808 • Replies: 6
No top replies

LightsAndMagic

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 11:23 pm
Is your belief system ready-made or custom-designed?
(integrated and abridged quotes from previous posts)

devriesj wrote:
LightsAndMagic wrote:
...Among other things, I've always found the workings of the mind to be fascinating. It seems that when I have a curiosity about an issue, and "put out" the question, an answer always makes itself known to me. As a result, my life is enriched by being able to rely on my own direction for those answers. I suppose because my ego likes it when I can solve my own problems. :wink:

I like what you said!...I feel that way too.

Do you have a philosophy or religion that "guides" you or helps to shape your thinking?

From what I've gathered, there are predominately two categories that we fall under, with regard to how we choose our philosophical and/or religious beliefs:

Group A: Those who prefer a ready-made belief system already in place.
Group B: Those who prefer to custom-design their own belief system.

The person in Group A (GA) says, "You can't cherry pick what you want! You have to take an idea already in place, or none of it."
The person in Group B (GB) says, "How can you buy into only one package alone, and disregard all else?"

Both usually see the other as outlandish, illogical, and sometimes even inferior. What it boils down to in reality, though, is what an individual personally needs. GA would feel insecure and vulnerable without his choice, and GB would feel confined and stymied.

As long as no one tries to make the other change, this would be fine. But GA more often known than not, makes it his mission to change GB. On the flip side, GB usually accuses GA of being simple-minded, and on occasion still seeks to sway him.

These are of course generalities, but this is basically accurate.

As for myself, I now fall into Group B, although in my past I've been a staunch member of Group A. (When I go with something, I give it my all, and go it all the way.)

Now instead of turning my first post, here, into a monologue, I'd rather expound on these concepts and personal beliefs by way of mutual, non-abusive, rational discussion.
Smile

Any takers? devriesj?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:47 am
I was raised in the Church from infancy, and of course as a child bought it lock, stock and barrel.

Over the years my beliefs have changed based on what I've seen and experienced. Maybe I'm just kidding myself, but I like to think I'm open minded and willing to change my beliefs.....but I suspect an independent outside observer would conclude I haven't changed very much at all.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:51 am
Hi, L&M! Glad to find you here! And hello, Jim.By your location may I assume that you are fighting the good fight as they say?

I was raised in the church as well. It was a pretty warped belief system as my parents were abusive. Their philosophy seemed to be "do as I say, not as I do." And there was an unspoken/unwritten edict that we acted one way on Sunday, not letting those church people know what happened the rest of the week.
I've looked into other religions and belief systems. They just didn't do it for me. There always seemed to be some flaw in logic or just didn't fit me somehow.
Needless to say I grew. I rebelled. My (Christian)faith changed and is constantly changing.
I suppose to an extent you would want to put me into group A, with a healthy dash of group B.
I've been a big rebel as far as "organized religion"or the church is concerned. When I say I am a Christian, I mean a "follower of Christ". I don't mean that I accept everything that "the church" has to say as gospel. Denominations are a man-made not God-made invention. And yes, of course I am talking about a belief in God here, if I haven't already made that obvious. You can be a Christian and not go to church and vice-versa you can go to church and not be a Christian.
I have tried to incorporate things that are considered from other religions into my life. For instance, yoga. Some Christians - believe it or not- actually think it's a bad thing. Like I'm going to all of the sudden become a buddhist or "worse". I've actually been told this!
I won't expound any more as this has seemed to become a "novelette" of sorts. I would never mock or disrespect anyone else's belief system. I can only tell you what I believe. It's not up to anyone else to judge another person. I really believe that.
Having said that, I'm curious what you've incorporated into your belief system, L&M. I look forward to any and all discussion on this thread.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:26 am
the only way to formulate a 'creed' - belief system, is to build it one brick at a time, by testing every hypothesis that you develop, or that is presented to you by individuals, groups, or institutions.
looking at all ideas with an open, critical, and inquiring mind will enable you to see the primitive ghosts behind most 'traditional' belief systems.
[for example the christian world is currently celebrating the execution, by crucifiction, of a jewish philosopher who, it seems' was put to death for thinking about how human relationships should be, as opposed to the tyranous, inequitable practices of the time - without the superstitous trappings, and political inuendos, this might just teach us something!]
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:06 am
Hi Dev -

I've been working as an engineer in the oil fields in Saudi Arabia for 14 years now.

From what I've seen, it's easy to be a nominal Christian in the States, and it's easy to fall away from Christianity in the States. Not a day goes by here where Christianity (as well as every other faith) isn't ridiculed, and their faith is shoved down your throat. I've seen fellow Westerners here go one of two ways. Either it sours you on all faiths, or it makes you examine what you believe and why you believe it, and it makes your faith stronger.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:47 am
I believe that, Jim. What has that done for you and your faith?

Just as an aside, do you know anything of how they treat their women? I have a middle-eastern friend (from Bahrain) and the information I get here in the states makes it sound as if they're basically treated like second-class citizens, just baby-makers to some and worse to others. Is there any truth to that from what you know?
0 Replies