How do I Uninstall Windows ME?

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:46 am
Right, only recently have I been able to upgrade to Windows 2000, but I have a problem. I've got Windows ME stuck on my computer, taking up space. I won't use, I don't need it, but I can't uninstall it.

I've tried the uninstall program within the Windows ME Directory called uninst.exe, but it says it cannot continue because it can't find an installation log. (I didn't install Windows ME myself).

The Add/Remove Programs doesn't have a Windows ME option in the Install/Uninstall tab.

I haven't been able to uninstall it through Minimal Boot in DOS...

So what do I do? If I delete the files, that won't get rid of the option whenever I boot-up of choosing between two OS systems.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 780 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:50 am
You're (almost) always better off to do a fresh install than an upgrade, can you back up your important data, reformat your HD, and install Win 2000? BTW nice job responding to "TheUndonePoet", I just could not bring myself to wade through all his muck & mire.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:21 am
Reformat my HD? how do I do that?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 07:04 am
The problem is in your boot sector on your hard drive. The boot sector tells the computer where to look for the OS.

Not sure how to redo boot sector in windows but there should be a way.

I don't think that a reformat will rewrite your boot sector since it isn't part of the drive partitioning.

a quick google jogged my memory a little..

start here..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/122221/en-us

fdisk/ mbr is the command but you risk screwing up your disk. Make sure you back up everything first.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 07:19 am
Thanks. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Hang on a minute! I don't have an MS-DOS system disk!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 10:29 am
Try this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q229716/

Quote:
FIXMBR
fixmbr device name
Use this command (where device name is an optional device name that specifies the device that needs a new MBR) to repair the master boot record (MBR) of the system partition. This command is used in scenarios where a virus has damaged the MBR and Windows cannot start.

WARNING: This command has the potential to damage your partition tables if a virus is present or a hardware problem exists. This command may lead to inaccessible partitions. Microsoft suggests running antivirus software before using this command.

The name can be obtained from the output of the map command. If this is left blank, the boot device's MBR is fixed, for example:
fixmbr \device\harddisk2
If Fixmbr detects an invalid or non-standard partition table signature, it prompts you for permission before rewriting the MBR.

Again, back up everything before you try it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 11:22 am
Edit the boot.ini file on the root of the C:\ drive. (carefully)
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:46 pm
You can't just "uninstall" an OS from within the OS... Think about it... you can't delete a program while you're using it. As for the reformatting... When you install 2000, it will give you the option of formatting your drive or using it as it. If you reformat, everything on the drive will be gone. If you just use it "as is" and install it into a directory named "Windows2000" for instance... then it will rewrite your boot sector and you can delete the OLD windows ME directory from within 2000. Good luck.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 05:51 am
Well, I've tried everything.

However, now when the computer boots up, it asks me to choose between two Windows systems. (Windows 2000 and the old one).

I've tried opening the Boot.ini file but all that's written inside it is this...

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:56 am
OK, that just means that Windows 2000 isn't handling the choice to boot between the operating systems.

Did you use some kind of boot manager when you upgraded? That boot manager should have an option of turning off the other operating system.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 07:44 am
DrewDad wrote:
OK, that just means that Windows 2000 isn't handling the choice to boot between the operating systems.

Did you use some kind of boot manager when you upgraded? That boot manager should have an option of turning off the other operating system.

Not that I'm aware of...
0 Replies