Overall, books are way better than movies...

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 03:37 pm
Obviously the film fails if it doesn't elicit a genuine emotional response. This is done through visualization in many films, most recently in "Brokeback Mountain," and in no more strongly cinematic terms than "L'Aventura." The frist showing of that film touched off a visceral response which only compares with the first performance of Ravel's Bolero. Most of the audience at Cannes were stunned, either because it had their head spinning or they were just dumbfounded. You know you're in trouble when they are on a deserted island and one of the characters dissapears into thin air. "Picnic At Hanging Rock" explored some of the same territory. You couldn't tell that story in terms of writing it down as well as how it was told on film. When original screenplays are very, very good, it's hard not to respond to them better than an adapted fictional story.

Another fine adaptation recently deserved a revisit in terms of exploring how it was written. The novel turned into a film was "In Cold Blood," and the homage film was "Capote."

Did Capote ever again write anything like it? Yes -- "Handcarved Coffins" and I rate that book much higher than some critics. This time, however, I don't see that story as being filmable although it's tempting as one of the murders is accomplished (actually in real life, also) by putting starved rattlesnakes into a hot car and waiting for the victim to step in. Yikes!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 03:59 pm
I'd give that one a miss..
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 04:42 pm
Didn't care for "Handcarved Coffins?"

The title of this thread, incidentally, asks if it is better to read books or watch movies but not necessarily movies that came from books. I believe the well-rounded, aesthetically savvy person does both and includes live stage performances, trips to art galleries, and museums.
Whether a writer, director, the actors, the cinematographer, the soundtrack composer and all the collaborative staff do a good job is the crux of the matter on adapted material.

I would just quote "The Big Sleep" as not being as good as the book because the movie really went out in left field leaving a lot of people wondering what the hell was going on. "The Maltese Falcon" and "Double Indemnity" are far superior adaptations into the genre of film noir. I did post a link to the thread discussing the best film scripts, 'cause we all know Shakespeare wasn't kidding when he said, "The plays the thing."
0 Replies