edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 07:06 pm
Chew carefully.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 04:14 am
rosborne979 wrote:
We could all float a theory. That might be fun Smile
OK I've got nothing to lose! I know the below really does not answer why there would not be at least a bit of intelligent electromagnetic activity, but it narrows it somewhat. Nevertheless the overwhelming weight of the evidence at this point is we are unique, at least technologically.

1) Over time (cosmologically speaking) there have been lots of technologically advanced civilizations, but the time period in which broad band leakage occurs is relatively short as more efficient communications are developed. If we then factor in the stunning size and life span of the Milky Way, and assume most technologically advanced civilizations either quickly self-destruct or move onto some indifferent form, we have some basis for no TV shows from beta CVn

2) Self-replicating Berserkers roam the galaxy and on first signs of broad band leakage come to wipe out technologically advanced civilizations. If so, cash in your IRA's and send the proceeds to Chumly.
JLNobody wrote:
It seems to me that "evolution" is a purely biological phenomenon. The idea of non-corporeal consciousness is "absurd" insofar as consciousness is an epiphenomenon of physical processes (and, conversely, physicality is an idea held by consciousness--one cannot exist without the other).
In addition, "evolution" is not a teleological process; it is not goal driven. Evolution is a theoretical scheme by which scientists integrate data and models from various disciplines to explain change, not "progress."
Nevertheless, it IS fun to fantasize.
As to evolution being a purely biological phenomenon and not goal driven; if you consider glasses, hearing aides, artificial permanent and/or removable body parts, it's clear we have already moved away from the purely biologic implications of evolution and are putting our own cybernetic evolutionary stamp on our present and future. As such man's evolution is starting to be goal driven. The same could be argued for dogs at least genetically. I see no reason why this process could not continue to produce some very remarkable results.

As to the non-corporeal consciousness I said "Also just to keep things straight I do mean "non-corporal" in the sense that a Science Fiction writer might use it to describe an intelligence without conventional physical form."

What I was speculating about was "a structure that performs a similar function to our electrochemical organic brain but be maintained by energy signals (electrical and/or photonic etc.) in an energy matrix." So I do not mean to suggest that this non-corporal dude would lack real world presence /accountability.

I looked up the word corporal before I posted and the definition that fit was "of the body" so I meant "not of the body", I did not mean not of this physical world.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:41 am
Chumly wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
We could all float a theory. That might be fun Smile
OK I've got nothing to lose! I know the below really does not answer why there would not be at least a bit of intelligent electromagnetic activity, but it narrows it somewhat. Nevertheless the overwhelming weight of the evidence at this point is we are unique, at least technologically.

Ok. I'll throw one in. Perhaps some natural (or even better, artificial) aspect of interstellar space dampens or filters complexity in EM signals. So our galaxy is actually swarming with Universal Constructors as well as technological life, but none of us can see each other. And the Universal Constructors just haven't run across us by accident yet.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 06:21 am
If it was a natural filter, I can't see how it could discriminate between complex natural radiations and complex artificial radiations (at least not in any meaningful broad band sense).

If was an artificial filter then the power to squelch/attenuate transmissions over such a vast amount of (mostly empty) space in such an extremely specific & discriminate manner would be truly boggling.

The fact that we can already receive very faint and IMHO very complex broad band natural radiations, makes me question a natural filter exists.

I can certainly present lots of god (pun & typo) reasons why the Universal Constructors might want to keep us isolated though, not the least of which is to have each race develop independently.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 06:42 am
Chumly wrote:
If it was a natural filter, I can't see how it could discriminate between complex natural radiations and complex artificial radiations (at least not in any meaningful broad band sense).

I can't either. But there's a lot out there we can't identify yet. Dark Energy accounts for most of the mass, Dark Matter most of the remaining. Lots we don't know yet.

Chumly wrote:
If was an artificial filter then the power to squelch/attenuate transmissions over such a vast amount of (mostly empty) space in such an extremely specific & discriminate manner would be truly boggling.

Maybe the Oort cloud is not just rocks. Maybe it's a cloud of nano to macro sized Constructors, programmed to isolate the solar system, both from inside and outside. Kind of like an Egg shell from which we have yet to emerge.

Chumly wrote:
The fact that we can already receive very faint and IMHO very complex broad band natural radiations, makes me question a natural filter exists.

The most complex signal we get from outside our solar system is pulsars pulsing.

Chumly wrote:
I can certainly present lots of god (pun & typo) reasons why the Universal Constructors might want to keep us isolated though, not the least of which is to have each race develop independently.

Every solar system might be protected by an Oort Constructor shell desiged to camoflage what's inside.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:21 am
I know of at least two ways to modulate transmissions, F.M. & A.M., with pulsars being A.M. AFAICT both types modulations are broad-band receivable from beyond the Oort Cloud from (presumed) natural sources.

These Constructor fellers must sure know how to make a celestial filter!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:34 am
One question: how evolutionarily likely is it in general terms to have intelligence that creates high technology? Obviously given the precise conditions on earth it was inevitable, but if evolutionary history is any indicator, it's far from a forgone conclusion simply because it was inevitable on earth.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 08:04 am
Chumly wrote:
I know of at least two ways to modulate transmissions, F.M. & A.M., with pulsars being A.M. AFAICT both types modulations are broad-band receivable from beyond the Oort Cloud from (presumed) natural sources.

These Constructor fellers must sure know how to make a celestial filter!

In order for the theory to work, we must assume they have the ability to identify and filter with that level of subtlety. Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 08:11 am
Chumly wrote:
One question: how evolutionarily likely is it in general terms to have intelligence that creates high technology? Obviously given the precise conditions on earth it was inevitable, but if evolutionary history is any indicator, it's far from a forgone conclusion simply because it was inevitable on earth.

That's another variable in the Drake equation. We have only one data point to go by, and that's us. We can't make much of a chart with only one data point.

We could say however that complex intelligence has arisen here several in several forms, they just haven't all taken the final step to technology. Dolphin's, Apes, Octopii, Crows, and possibly several other animals have fairly complex cognitive abilities. How close are they to developing technology? But if we were to vanish from the scene and it only took one of them 65million years to do it, there would still be lots of time to colonize the Milky Way with Octopii built Universal Constructors.

And remember, our Sun is probably a third generation star (I read that somewhere), so we got started late in the Universal scheme of things.

Where are they? Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 10:37 am
Ingenious stuff, guys.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 10:43 am
Chumly, do you think that bionic additions to the human physique are part of his evolution? It seems to me that unless we change humans physically they may have undergone external addiitions, like good shoes, but remain the same bioiogically. Only by means of eugenics can we engineer goal-driven change. And then it remains problematical whether or not it will be considered "progress" in the long run. And progress by what standard?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 03:58 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
That's another variable in the Drake equation. We have only one data point to go by, and that's us. We can't make much of a chart with only one data point.
Right and it's perhaps the most difficult one to assess.
rosborne979 wrote:
We could say however that complex intelligence has arisen here several in several forms, they just haven't all taken the final step to technology. Dolphin's, Apes, Octopii, Crows, and possibly several other animals have fairly complex cognitive abilities. How close are they to developing technology?
I don't know, all I can say that some animals (Chimps for example) use tools which by some people's definition is technology, just not what I would call hard technology.
rosborne979 wrote:
But if we were to vanish from the scene and it only took one of them 65million years to do it, there would still be lots of time to colonize the Milky Way with Octopii built Universal Constructors.
Did you use 65 million years to suggest the "Cretaceous-Tertiary Mass Extinction event" which some argue gave mammals their big chance? And if so what about the dino's, they had lots of time?
rosborne979 wrote:
And remember, our Sun is probably a third generation star (I read that somewhere), so we got started late in the Universal scheme of things.
I've read that too, recycled star stuff with more complex materials formed each time around. The counter to that (as I understand it) is that earlier in time there were less complex materials available from the stars so life was less likely.
rosborne979 wrote:
Where are they? Smile
The Berserkers ate them for supper Question after all they're self-replicating machines, you postulated self-replicating machines in your earlier post, and suggested they should be out there by now.

Outside of some sort of galactic morality based on enlightened self interest, I know of no argument to suggest advanced aliens would be more likely to be helpful than hurtful (excluding moral religious idealisms).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 04:20 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Chumly, do you think that bionic additions to the human physique are part of his evolution? It seems to me that unless we change humans physically they may have undergone external addiitions, like good shoes, but remain the same bioiogically. Only by means of eugenics can we engineer goal-driven change. And then it remains problematical whether or not it will be considered "progress" in the long run. And progress by what standard?
Eugenics gets a bad rap but we have not turned our dogs into super killing machines nor for that matter our domestic animals (Killer Bees, German Shepherds, biologic warfare?). I would not argue if you want to view evolution on a strict biological basis, but with respect to man, I tend to think of it in broader terms by encompassing the social/technological also.

I figure natural evolution does not presuppose progress per se, but only change. Even though (I suggest) man is already goal driven on a evolutionary social/technological basis, the only sure measure of progress that comes to mind is increased powers and the standard of measurement would be the past.

What is the (now completed) Human Genome Program if not the forerunner to some sort of (hopefully benign) eugenics?

Quote:
Knowledge about the effects of DNA variations among individuals can lead to revolutionary new ways to diagnose, treat, and someday prevent the thousands of disorders that affect us. Besides providing clues to understanding human biology, learning about nonhuman organisms' DNA sequences can lead to an understanding of their natural capabilities that can be applied toward solving challenges in health care, agriculture, energy production, environmental remediation, and carbon sequestration.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:02 pm
OK.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:03 pm
I think Frank Herbert had it right when he predicted a "jihad" against "thinking machines" somewhere down the track....not really an original idea now, but probably was when Dune was written. Humans are too xenophobic to share the concept of intelligence.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 12:43 am
In the Asimov stories with Spacers and Elija Baley with his robot partner, Daniel Olivaw etc. robots were not allowed on Earth but were well received outside of Earth. Not that different in concept to those old English workers known as Luddites who protested unemployment caused by the industrial revolution.

Asimov's view might suggest the future of the thinking machines belongs to the new worlds. I never finished reading Dune nor saw the entire movie, so I did not know about Frank Herbert's jihad against thinking machines.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 02:12 am
Chumly you are missing out. Give Frank another go...all the dune books are really outstandingly good, especially as the sequels cover vast amounts of time so that events in the first books become the realms of the religions of the later.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 03:18 am
I'm sure you're right, but for reasons I have not been able to figure, it puts me to sleep each time I've tried. It makes no sense I know; I could give it another go as it's been at least 10 years since I last gave it a shot.

Here's an unrelated chuckle:

Shuttle Dog
0 Replies