Transcendence And The Next Step In Humanity's Evolution

Chumly

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 05:45 pm
Mr. Chumly says: we may be the gods we seek.

Childhood's End:

Childhood's End deals with the transformation and integration of humanity into an interplanetary hive mind. The book also touches on the issues of the Occult, man's inablility to live in a utopian society, cruelty to animals, as well as the cliché of being the last man on Earth.

The book opens with enormous alien spaceships appearing one day over all of Earth's major cities. The aliens, who become known as the Overlords, quickly make radio contact and announce their benign intentions and desire to help mankind. The Overlords quickly end the arms race and colonialism. They also arrange person-to-person (though not face-to-face) meetings to be conducted between Secretary General of the United Nations Stormgren and the Overlord leader Karellen, albeit through a one-way mirror so that Stormgren cannot see Karellen. They promise to reveal themselves in fifty years, after which mankind will have lost its prejudice and become comfortable in their presence.

Mankind enters a golden age of the greatest peace and prosperity ever known, but at some expense of creativity and freedom, and not all people on Earth are content with the bargain, nor accept the longterm benign intentions of the Overlords. Although Stormgren survives a plot by some subversives suspicious of the Overlords, Stormgren secretly harbours lingering doubts about the real nature of the Overlords. So he smuggles a device onboard Karellen's vessel to glimpse behind the screen, but the device apparently fails to work, although there are indications that Stormgren merely agrees with the Overlords that mankind was not yet ready for what it revealed.

True to their word, fifty years after their arrival, they appear in person. They have all the classical appearance of devils - dark skin, leathery wings, pointed tails, horns, etc.

The Overlords, after a hundred years on Earth, reveal their true purpose. They are in service to a corporate being of pure energy known as the Overmind. It is their purpose to nursemaid humanity's emergence into a higher plane of existence that would become part of the Overmind. The fact that their appearance is associated with devils is explained by developing the concept of a racial memory that is not limited by humanity's concept of linear time, hence the apprehension to these creatures is based on a instinctive foreknowledge that their coming would herald the end of our species.

One day, Humanity's children start displaying telepathic and telekinetic abilities. These children soon become distant from their parents, and the Overlords quarantine all of them to the continent of Australia. Following the quarantine, no more normal children are born. Humanity ages and dies off; all the while their children change more and more in their evolution to become part of the Overmind.

Jan Rodricks is the last living human being, and he will witness the final transformation. He had stowed away on an Overlord supply ship in an attempt to travel to the Overworld home planet, which he has correctly guessed orbits a star located in the Carina constellation. Due to the relativistic nature of time, by the time has has completed the 40-lightyear round trip, he has lived longer than any other human. Upon his return to Earth from the Overlords' homeworld, Humanity has died out. He stays behind to witness the final transformation while the Overlords depart and Earth itself dissolves away. Humanity's offspring have evolved to a higher plane of existence, and the childhood of mankind has come to an end.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,593 • Replies: 37
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 05:51 pm
I read it many years ago. I believe humans could live in a peaceful harmony one day, but who knows when?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:21 pm
In the physical sense (as per the book) or in the non-corporeal sense (as per the book)?

Or whatever sense tickles your senses senseless!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 07:14 pm
Physical. I don't put much stock in the other.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:47 pm
Sounds 'bout right to me.

My wife is making cookies and soon they will be non-corporal, but as for man realizing that goal (of being non-corporal through technology, not of getting eaten like cookies) well it's a fun fantasy, and it's more plausible than the bearded man in the sky syndrome, or so I would aver.

As to peaceful harmony one day; with a massively lower total global population and mega-automation, I could envision it no probs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:29 pm
It seems a bit egotistical to me to think that aliens from no telling how far away could evince the slightest interest in our evolution.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 10:15 pm
No doubt lots of hubris there!

But if you are referring to the book, then they (The Overlords) came to earth not because they gave a damn about humans per se, but because they (The Overlords) could not join the Hive (the non corporal swarm), so by enabling humans to join the Hive they hoped to learn more about the process themselves and perhaps someday merge with the Hive too.

They (The Overlords) had done this with a number of races prior (helping them to merge with the Hive), and would again with other races.

The Overlords wanted to join the Hive but for reasons unknown could not, so they considered it in their best interests to find races (such as humans) and make their live's as smooth as possible to maximum the Hive enabling.

blah blah blah......
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 08:50 am
I read _Childhood's End_ years ago (in high school) and liked it. But today, such concepts as those in the book seem a little too innocent to me.

Assuming humanity survives, I have not doubt that one day we will merge significantly with our technology, perhaps transferring our personalities into physical systems which don't need to eat, reproduce or keep warm at night. But if that happens, I also have no doubt that the resulting beings will no longer be human in any sense of their feelings or behavior.

It's the same with any transformation to another "ultimate" state of consciousness. I don't think "who we are" could remain intact without us being "what we are".

But people are too attached to stability, and they are too attached to viewsing life through mortal eyes to easily imagine what our motivations would be like without those limits. It seems inevitible that we will change, and what we know now will become extinct and be replaced by whatever comes next. And whatever viewpoint is, will remember us as quaint ancestors to their new standard of life, and on and on it will go.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 09:02 am
I concede the point.

But if you are referring to the book, then they (The Overlords) came to earth not because they gave a damn about humans per se, but because they (The Overlords) could not join the Hive (the non corporal swarm), so by enabling humans to join the Hive they hoped to learn more about the process themselves and perhaps someday merge with the Hive too.

But in most sci fi tales, the aliens either want to push us along or else conquer us, for whatever reason.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 09:52 am
edgarblythe wrote:
But in most sci fi tales, the aliens either want to push us along or else conquer us, for whatever reason.

I guess it wouldn't be much of a story if all they wanted to do was ignore us. That would be morel like reality than sci-fi Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 10:32 am
Not discussing fiction techniques so much as the way we perceive aliens.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 12:54 pm
The Drake Equation was developed by Frank Drake in 1961 as a way to focus on the factors which determine how many intelligent, communicating civilizations there are in our galaxy. Try the Drake Equation!

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/SETI/drake_equation.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

The Fermi Paradox: The belief that the universe contains many technologically advanced civilizations, combined with our lack of observational evidence to support that view, is inconsistent. Either this assumption is incorrect (and technologically advanced intelligent life is much rarer than we believe), our current observations are incomplete (and we simply have not detected them yet), or our search methodologies are flawed (we are not searching for the correct indicators). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Very simply, Drake says there should be lots of aliens but Fermi says OK how come we have heard no sign of them via radio / light waves?

I think it was Asimov who speculated in one of his essays, that the reason why we have not heard any aliens via electromagnetic radiation (or whatever medium) is that technologically advanced aliens would use focused electromagnetic radiation (or whatever medium) and wide-band unfocused electromagnetic radiation (or whatever medium) only takes place for a short time in the technological evolution of a species' communication.

However even if this argument is true, it does not provide the reason why technologically advanced aliens would not want to display some sort of welcome beacon (as pulsars were for a bit once speculated to possibility be).

If there are technologically advanced intelligent life-forms, it's dubious they would not have the resources to make broadcasting devices, but there certainly could be physically and intellectually advanced intelligent life-forms that do not have broadcasting devices.

Another possibility is that most if not all technologically advanced intelligent life-forms self-destruct before long and hence don't put out much electromagnetic radiation for extended periods.

Another possibility is that most if not all sufficiently advanced intelligent life-forms soon metamorphosize into the equivalent of non-corporal life (what some might call godlike) and are indifferent to the physical world as we know it.

Such a life form might be hard to detect by us and might have abilities that would seem to us to be godlike or magical.

I am not suggesting that such life forms exist, but personally I cannot see why they could not exist, and I would argue that non-corporal life is much more likely than a non-corporal supreme being such as defined in the Abrahamic religions.

Conscious thought in humans is a function of electrochemical signals between neurons in the brain, so why couldn't a structure that performs a similar function be maintained by energy signals (electrical and/or photonic etc.) in an energy matrix. I am not suggesting I have any direct knowledge of non-corporal intelligence, it's speculation, but it's fun.

A more likely shorter term consideration would be artificial intelligence, which one might argue, is to some degree non-corporal, because it's really the software not the hardware that is the intelligence. But that to some fair degree is more a question of semantics and perspective.

Also just to keep things straight I do mean "non-corporal" in the sense that a Science Fiction writer might use it to describe an intelligence without conventional physical form.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 01:41 pm
Chumly wrote:
The Drake Equation was developed by Frank Drake in 1961 as a way to focus on the factors which determine how many intelligent, communicating civilizations there are in our galaxy. Try the Drake Equation!

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/SETI/drake_equation.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

The Fermi Paradox: The belief that the universe contains many technologically advanced civilizations, combined with our lack of observational evidence to support that view, is inconsistent.

I have always loved the Fermi Paradox, and I consider it one of the most profound and meaningful cosmological inconsistancies confronting us today.

"The Great Silence", as Fermi called it, came up in a thread I started quite some time ago ( Here's the thread). And even though some people think they have answered the paradox, I disagree. No argument I have seen so far fits the logical set of known conditions.

Here is the Fermi Paradox thread which Neil started in response to another discussion.

The Drake equation is interesting, but there are far too many unknowns to draw any meaningful conclusions. But if anything, the probability of life as predicted by the Drake equation is increasing, not decreasing. I say this because the one part of the equation (number of planets/moons) available in the Universe is increasing daily as we acquire better observational techniques.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 02:24 pm
Right on all counts!

We would need a good reason to argue why we have not heard of any aliens via some sort electromagnetic radiation.

So that leaves us alone in the universe as per technologically advanced aliens anyway.

The problem with that of course is many cosmological indicators suggest conditions for life could have happened innumerable times already, perhaps even within our own solar system.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 02:37 pm
Chumly wrote:
Right on all counts!

We would need a good reason to argue why we have not heard of any aliens via some sort electromagnetic radiation.

So that leaves us alone in the universe as per technologically advanced aliens anyway.

The problem with that of course is many cosmological indicators suggest conditions for life could have happened innumerable times already, perhaps even within our own solar system.

And thus, the paradox.

We could all float a theory. That might be fun Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 02:53 pm
It seems to me that "evolution" is a purely biological phenomenon. The idea of non-corporeal consciousness is "absurd" insofar as consciousness is an epiphenomenon of physical processes (and, conversely, physicality is an idea held by consciousness--one cannot exist without the other).
In addition, "evolution" is not a teleological process; it is not goal driven. Evolution is a theoretical scheme by which scientists integrate data and models from various disciplines to explain change, not "progress."
Nevertheless, it IS fun to fantasize.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 03:19 pm
I have to walk the dog and then go for Easter supper, two activities that perhaps represent opposites, I'll check in later.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 03:43 pm
I believe there perhaps ought to be intelligent life out there, even though I have seen no proof of same. Why they don't send signals I can't begin to guess.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 03:57 pm
A more apt question is how they could, or why they would, stop the inevitable broad band leakage throughout goodly portions of the electromagnetic spectrum. Especially in the earlier stages of technological advancement such as what man is moving into now.

Dog done / dinner to go!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 06:15 pm
Buen provecho!
0 Replies