I can't read my desktop

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 07:17 am
ok the thing is there are icons on my desk top but the script below them telling what they are is a bunch of circles and boxes and slashes and other interesting figures. when I mange to go to a web site such as a2k I can read the content although there is a change in the font, semming to me larger and often bolded.the "sybols" are also on the tray and browser bar as well as the start menu meaning I can't get to help/support or due a 'restore" because I can't read any of it.
thank you for your assistance, The Dys.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,025 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 07:46 am
Hi Dys,
I am not sure what your problem is, but the following is a way to run system restore from the command prompt based on Microsoft instructions.

System Restore from the Command Prompt

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt
1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315222 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/
A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP
2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 07:47 am
Blimey!!! Hope someone can help fast, Dys.

(And bumping)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:42 am
ok I managed to boot in safe mode and navigated to help support/restore (totally unreadable) I have the restore window open but can read none of it, I clicked on what appears to be the go on the restore but nothing happens.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:45 am
I am on Diane's puter, on my puter I now have what appears to be calandar (unreadable) with 3 clicable buttons on the lower right side (also unreadable)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:47 am
I believe I have the calandar set to last wed and should be able to proceed if I knew which of the three buttons to click at the bottom of the page
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:52 am
ok so I duplicated everything I did on my puter wth Dianes, getting up the same pages and based on the assumption that they are the same I selected the correct buttons visually from her puter to mine, mine seems to be currently running "restore"
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:56 am
system restore complete, rebooted, desktop stilll gibberish.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:27 am
ok ran restore again going back a full week, I be in business now.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:42 am
It sounds like you might have a font file that is corrupt. Or possibly all of them.

Right click desktop.
When you go to desktop properties can you read anything there as to which font is being used. You could try different fonts to see if one works.

You might want to try replacing the fonts files. (all of them might not replace because they in use by windows.)

In order to replace system fonts, you may have to do this from command prompt.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:42 am
Then ignore my message.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:20 pm
Phew, Dys!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:22 pm
Good show!
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 09:31 pm
This problem is caused when you try to display a character that is not included in that font set. Someone (or something) must have changed the system font to some odd truetype. All you need(ed) to do is (was) to go to the display properties and select a new system font.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 10:41 pm
Or put your glasses on dys that often helps
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 05:07 am
dadpad must die.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:36 am
You can change the look of individual items if you select Windows Classic style in the Windows and buttons list on the Appearance tab of Display Properties. (Right-click an empty area of your desktop, then click Properties, and then click the Appearance tab). If you select a visual style other than Windows Classic, that style determines the appearance of your menus, fonts, icons, and other Window elements.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:44 am
OK folks, perhaps you didn't read carefully (the problem is solved) the main problem was that I could not read anything, this includes the start menu and everything that goes after that, I could read nothing on the desktop, I could not change any condition because I could not read ANYTHING. what I did mange to do was simulate on Dianes puter and attempt to mimic by location on my puter.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:45 am
I was simply clarifying what USAFHokie80 was saying for the benefit of anybody else that may have read that. ;-)
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:48 pm
even if you couldn't read anything... i assume you could see the icons. that's all you need to change the font. :-D
0 Replies