Casablanca tops movie script poll

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:25 am
That's true, but when it receives overwhelming critical acclaim and awards, and substantially exceeds the expectations at the box office, that it is a great film despite any naysayers. Of course, a film can't please everybody, but I suspect that many who are taking pot shots at BBM have never even seen the film.

By the same token, when a film loses money it's because people didn't go to see it and word-of-mouth is poor. That doesn't usually add up to a good film if it can't even please, say, the arthouse film crowd who can make an independent successful -- in other words, exceed its investment and box office predictions.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 11:32 am
Unless I missed it while scanning, that first list you posted, LW, doesn't include one of my all-time faves -- The Lion in Winter, which deals with homosexuality as a secondary theme. There is no doubt left about the sexual orientation of Richard the Lion Hearted. And that second list of top-selling Westerns doesn't include High Noon, one of Gary Cooper's best performances, Grace Kelly's debut, and my personal nomination for best western ever filmed.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 02:38 pm
I don't think Box Office Mojo classified "The Lion in Winter" as a "gay-themed" film but, then, that plot point could be said to be as important as in "Interview With a Vampire," I would guess.

If adjusted for inflation, I could see "High Noon" up there somewhere. Of course, it still would have to be the ratio of cost to box office and there I would think that BBM has topped them all at making just domestically over ten times its cost.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:47 pm
I think the "Lion in Winter" was a great film and Anthony Hopkins was superb in his depiction of the homosexual Richard. It is a pity that he did not leave his superb genes in the gene pool.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 09:40 pm
You know he didn't how? You think he's gay? Rumor has it, he's just over an affair with Sir Ian McClellan. Very Happy
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 09:47 pm
By "He" I was referring to the homosexual "Richard the Lionhearted"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 09:53 pm
Watch those unreferenced pronouns -- they can be a source of humor.
0 Replies