Linux newbie, needs help with moving files

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 09:35 pm
Ok, i recently installed Red Hat Linux on my hd along with Win98. Everything is working fine, but i want to move some music onto Linux. I put a few of the mp3s on a cd-rw(in Windows 98), booted Linux, but for some reason i can see anything on the CD. I know it has something to do with the file system on the cd-rw. Is there a program for windows that can write files on a cd so that Linux can read them? Or how who I fix this problem without some sort of program?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,471 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 10:33 pm
Hmm, odd request. I only use Linux for servers so I have no idea. I'll look into it but I doubt I can help you.
0 Replies

stray dog

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 08:40 pm
Thanks anyways. I doubt there is a way to move files from Linux file system to the Windows. I guess windows will have to be used for my multimedia.
0 Replies

TagH

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:34 am
OK - Redhat will do all of the things you want.

1. to read your windows CD. Create a directory in the /mnt tree called whatever you like - let's say mp3CD. Then mount your CD like this;-

mount -t msdos /dev/cdrom /mnt/mp3CD

That should allow you to read the DOS files.

2. Install SAMBA onto your Linux box. SAMBA mimics windows file sharing and allows you to freely access files between the two environments. Redhat comes with SAMBA. To install it click on "System Settings" ==> "Packages" and choose Windows File Server from the Server section. You then need to configure it but it's not rocket science and there are loads of "HOWTO"'s on the web

3. Redhat comes with "xmms",- a media player. - It's pants. Get RealPlayer for Linux free and for gratis from www.real.com. It's dead good.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:02 pm
TagH to the rescue! Welcome!
0 Replies

stray dog

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 07:50 pm
TagH, I salute you!

That worked perfectly. Thanks a bunch.
0 Replies