Kung Fu!

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:01 am
i love kung fu movies and i just wanted to get some feedback on y'alls favorites so i can find some new ones to watch.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 904 • Replies: 11
No top replies

happytaffy

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:38 am
Did you watch Kung Fu Hustle? Was it good?
0 Replies

crimsontriad

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:41 am
i actually have it. it is wonderful. it is hilarious(intentionally) and has a lot of great action scenes. i would definitely recommend it. if you have seen Shoalin Soccer, it is often likened to Kung Fu Hustle
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:10 pm
I love Kung Fu Hustle!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:14 pm
I remember many years go there was a Kung Fu Theater on Sundays
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:23 pm
husker wrote:
I remember many years go there was a Kung Fu Theater on Sundays

Was it on USA network?

When our local Fox station first came on the air they didn't have much to play..so on the weekends they played old Kung Fu movies, some were so bad...but I watched anyway....

"I see you have been practicing, but you are still no match for my praying mantis style"
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:55 pm
I think so or TBS
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:16 pm
The one I used to watch was oh...early to mid 80's....for the logo they did something with the ying-yang symbol...made it swirl or something.

-------

There is one that I would like to see again, or own if I could find it. The storylines are so similar that it's hard to pick it out from the crowd.

It was about a kung fu school that taught several different specialties. One was jumping, they put the new guy in a hole and told him to jump out...after some time he could jump out then they made the hole deeper, and he had weights tied to his legs, eventually he was jumping out of a very deep hole..they took the weights off and he could jump to the roof of a building.

Another student learned to walk very lightly, they had him walking on rice paper that was spread out on sharpened wooden poles, I don't remember much about him...but when he was done..he could walk on water.

Another student worked with a staff, they started him off with a large brass ring and he had to swirl the staff inside the ring, I think it made a noise or something...like a crystal glass when rubbed...anyway the rings shrunk in size until the hole was just a hair bigger than the staff itself. I don't remember what special thing he could do...just that he was very accurate with the staff.

There were several main characters, maybe 6 or 7 and they each learned a speciality...and of course at the end, they were attacked by an army, I think a few of the main characters survived the assault.

If anybody knows which movie this is...I'd greatly appreciate it.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 08:55 am
Stephen Chow directed both Shoalin Soccer and
Kung Fu Hustle. I've seen alot of his films and
God of Cookery is worth a look. He is making
Kung Fu Hustle 2. I hear the mute girl will be
the main character .
I also like Tony Ja, he starred in Ong Bak, the
Thai Warrior.
0 Replies

crimsontriad

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 04:29 pm
i own Ong Bak as well, horrid acting but the martial arts more than makes up for it in my opinion
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 10:17 pm
"Fist of Legend" with Jet Li in it is pretty good. The "Once Upon a Time in China" series is a classic.
0 Replies

Lucien

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 04:56 pm
crimsontriad wrote:
i actually have it. it is wonderful. it is hilarious(intentionally) and has a lot of great action scenes. i would definitely recommend it. if you have seen Shoalin Soccer, it is often likened to Kung Fu Hustle

Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle were both directed by Stephen Chow, and he starred in both of them.
0 Replies