Can't delete two programs, Apprenticesetup-dm.exe, Wonder...

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 06:23 pm
Hey, I downloaded these two games from iWin.com, and now I can't delete the installation packs... it keeps saying that "it is being used by another person or program, close any programs that might be using the file and try again" but I've searched and searched and can't find what's running them... they are ApprenticeSetup-dm.exe and WonderSetup-dm.exe... I've even booted into safe mode to manually delete them there, but it still said it was being used by another program... any suggestions? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 781 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 06:28 pm
Check the attributes.
0 Replies

IronMan2007

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:13 pm
What do you mean by attributes?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:07 pm
Right click the file on the desktop, go to properties, go to general. You can also try cut and paste to an external drive.
0 Replies

IronMan2007

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:43 am
I don't have an external drive to try to paste it too. and now I know what you mean by the attributes, but how does that help me to delete it?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 02:17 pm
File attributes can be used to write-protect, hide, and unhide files, or as behind-the-scenes file maintenance. The attributes are called Read Only, Hidden, Archive, and System, and are described below:

Read Only: A file that is marked Read Only cannot be altered. It can be read, but it cannot be changed or deleted.

Hidden: By default, hidden files do not appear in a directory listing.

Archive: The Archive attribute can be used to selectively back up or copy files; it is most helpful in DOS.

System: System files are files flagged for use by the operating system and are not usually displayed in a directory listing.

To view or change file attributes
Right-click the file, and then click Properties. In the "Attributes:" section, enabled attributes have checks beside them. Add or remove the checks from Read Only, Archive, or Hidden to enable or disable these options. If you want to change the System attribute, you need to do it from the command prompt.

Note: In Windows XP, you will see only the Read Only and Hidden checkboxes on the first screen. To see the Archive checkbox you'll need to click the Advanced button. Also, in Windows XP there is no checkbox for the System attribute.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:33 pm
This has nothing to do with attributes. Obviously whoever said that didn't read your error message. You cannot delete an executing thread. The task manager does not always display the executable file name. Another program (like svchost) is most likely using a module from within the executable (or a dll) and so you can't delete it. For instance, in the task manager, it will only show "svchost." You can try a few things...

run msconfig.exe and go to the startup section, uncheck anything that has to do with these programs. they are obviously loading in your boot sequence. then you should be able to reboot without them loading. also, try going into regedit.exe and searching for any entry in the registry that has the name of those files. delete the registry keys. thirdly, hold "SHIFT" as you boot into windows. this will keep some programs from loading.

that should let you erase them.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:52 pm
Good point, I never noticed the programs were actually running.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 01:21 pm
It should be pointed out the problem IronMan2007 reports is among the generally accepted identifying characteristics of malware - what he's got there is a yuckware infestation, which calls for the use of certain particular purpose-designed disinfection tools and techniques.
0 Replies