Apple Enables Intel-Based Macs to Run Windows

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 02:59 pm
Can you believe Jobs did this?! Evil or Very Mad

I can't even being to fathom what Jobs is thinking. Perhaps after he forces a take-over/merger Disney, after merging Pixar and Disney together..it might make a bit more sense.

Sad, sad day. Who wants to boot straight into XP if they have a Mac- and then have to restart back in OSX if they wanted to switch OS's?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 756 • Replies: 8
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 03:15 pm
This way they will be able to share programs with anyone regradless of the OS. It's a brilliant move by Jobs.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:39 pm
SpyMac reported on this a day or two ago. Apple announced that they will offer the software but will not offer support for Windows on their machines.

I like the idea. There are a couple of small PC programs I need but can't run on my mac and don't want to buy a whole new computer for them.
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 02:34 pm
I guess so, it just seems kind of creepy though. Falling into the arms of the Evil Empire, you know?

They don't SUPPORT windows stuff, perse, but Bootcamp is apparently going to be part of the new OSX release...

Something just doesn't add up it seem to me.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 02:47 pm
Ha Ha... evil Empire... you might like this:

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyimages/802.gif
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 02:57 pm
HAH! I love the cartoon. Very funny indeed!!

Heheh "I feel dirty and need to take a shower". SO YOU SHOULD!
Evil evil evil evil. That's all I have to say about that!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:07 pm
All this means is that people who want to run Windows can now do so on overpriced (yet stylish) Apple hardware. Hardware is where Apple makes their money, so attempting to grow their market share like this makes sense. Writing a boot manager and some Windows drivers for their hardware is no big deal for Apple, programming wise, now that they're using Intel CPUs.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:26 pm
Ya know, I think it's funny how people call microsoft the "evil empire" when I think apple practices are more tretcherous. At least with windows, I can run it with any configuartion (except apple, until now) of hardware I want. I don't *HAVE* to buy ONE type of specific (and overpriced) hardware. Personally, I think it's bullsh*t that MS got his with that bogus "monopoly" suit. Apply is the ONLY make of apple hardware...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 09:19 pm
Monger wrote:
All this means is that people who want to run Windows can now do so on overpriced (yet stylish) Apple hardware. Hardware is where Apple makes their money, so attempting to grow their market share like this makes sense. Writing a boot manager and some Windows drivers for their hardware is no big deal for Apple, programming wise, now that they're using Intel CPUs.

It's a big deal for a small niche though: Apple fans whose software needs keep them from being able to live exclusively in the Apple world.

As a design-centric company, Apple's biggest limitation has always been the function (as in what the average Joe can do with the machine) and not the form.

So now people who like Apple but need to use software that is only written for Windows can switch more easily.

I agree with you that it's a small deal for Apple and a good move, at least in the short term. I also expect that they may try to let users run windows programs natively in their OS soon.

However they still know the risks. The only appeal to me with something like this would be to use a mac mini with Windows Media Center 2005 for a nice lil living room Media Center.

Of course, they don't support the Media Center edition of the Windows OS. If they go too far they may relegate themselves to hardware (which I've sometimes thought would be best for them).
0 Replies