Jesus Could Have Walked on Ice, Scientist Says

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:25 pm
If they (believers) believe in God and Jesus in the privacy of their own home, no one would object to it. However, they
are trying not only to convert non-believers, Christians are also
thinking they're in the right and everyone should live according
to to their beliefs, not to mention wanting to change legislature
to accommodate their belief (abortion).
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:28 pm
So, if Christians were to just stay in their homes then non-Christians would stop trying to refute God's existence? Interesting thought, but I don't think it's true.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:31 pm
Christians don't have to stay in thier homes, but they need to stay out of mine. Metaphorically speaking.

Christians condesend upon non-Christians and then call it compassion.

To be fair, it's not just Christians.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:27 pm
Momma, you've heard something of Islamic law around A2K. Imagine the majority around you were thinking of putting that into practise and expecting you to follow it and allow it to be taught to your kids in school. How would you feel about it?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:39 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I have a question. If so many are so convinced that there is no God or no Jesus Christ why do they try so hard to prove that? The phrase "I think they doth protest too much" comes to mind.

If you don't believe, fine, don't believe. But what is your motive for trying to get believers to not believe, assuming that is what some are doing.

Hi Momma, I believe in recycling.

mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
There is one thing I really do not understand about those that do not believe. If, as they say they don't believe, then why in the world do they work so doggone hard to try to prove wrong those of us that do believe?

Surely, you (and others) are not doing it for the believers' welfare.

It is not a matter of proving wrong, it is a matter of education. I suspect that for everyone that posts here there are at least ten lurkers reading the posts, so it is not just you that I am trying to reach. Speaking only for myself, I feel that there is an unhealthy fundamentalist revivalism in this country that is working it's way into our government. www.4religious-right.info
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1465979#1465979

Momma Angel wrote:
I don't get it.[/color]

It would appear so.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:40 pm
I couldn't say it better.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:05 am
Momma Angel wrote:
I have a question. If so many are so convinced that there is no God or no Jesus Christ why do they try so hard to prove that? The phrase "I think they doth protest too much" comes to mind.

If you don't believe, fine, don't believe. But what is your motive for trying to get believers to not believe, assuming that is what some are doing.

I don't get it.

Satan is just taking advantage of their weaknesses, he persuades them to defy God and yet they believe they are guided. They keep on straying untill they will finally see the truth revealed before them on the Day of Judgment; only by that time it will be too late.

He (God) guides some people while others are committed to straying. They have chosen the devils as their masters, instead of God, YET THEY BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE GUIDED. [Quran 7:30]
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:12 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Christians don't have to stay in thier homes, but they need to stay out of mine. Metaphorically speaking.

Christians condesend upon non-Christians and then call it compassion.

To be fair, it's not just Christians.

No one is trying to force their faith upon anyone, some people are just trying to show people the right path. "Truth stands out clear from error" (Quran 2:256)

I will comprise, let everyone choose their own path. And God guides who He wills.

O ye that reject Faith!
I worship not that which ye worship,
Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship,
Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
To you be your Way, and to me mine.
(Quran 1-6:109)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:18 am
Raul-7 wrote:

No one is trying to force their faith upon anyone, some people are just trying to show people the right path.

I don't suppose the death penalty for apostasy counts as "force" does it? It's just being "shown the right path", yeah?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 05:04 am
Eorl, having helped my little mutt deliver six puppies and having had two children of my own, I do think birth is a miracle.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:16 am
Raul-7 gives too much credit to this fictional Satan character. You'd almost think he worshipped Satan as well as as his own personal god.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:19 am
Can't have one without the other . . .
0 Replies

crimsontriad

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 07:28 am
Setanta wrote:

exactly. you can't have light without darkness or heat without cold otherwise there is really nothing to distinguish.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 07:48 am
crimsontriad wrote:
Setanta wrote:

exactly. you can't have light without darkness or heat without cold otherwise there is really nothing to distinguish.

That would mean Satan would have to be as powerful as God, which would make him in effect a god himself. You can't have Satan less powerful as God, otherwise he wouldn't be a real opposite, would he?
0 Replies

crimsontriad

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:52 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
crimsontriad wrote:
Setanta wrote:

That would mean Satan would have to be as powerful as God, which would make him in effect a god himself. You can't have Satan less powerful as God, otherwise he wouldn't be a real opposite, would he?

i dont understand exactly how that you figure that. satan just stands against everything god stands for. they are just idealistic opposites, otherwise god could not have cast satan out of heaven in the first place. and besides if 2/3 of the angels stuck with god, safe money is on him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:39 am
crimsontriad wrote:
Setanta wrote:

False analogies: heat is a relative statement about the activity of molecules in a gas, liquid or solid--cold is simply a statement about the relative absence of heat; light is a relative statement about the degree of radiation present which human eyes are able to detect--darkness is simply a statement about the relative absence of light.

As usual, theism depends upon simplistic and false definitions, and a shallow appeal to what sounds "cool" as opposed to a rigorous examination of first causes and evidence.
0 Replies

crimsontriad

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:42 am
Setanta wrote:
crimsontriad wrote:
Setanta wrote:

False analogies: heat is a relative statement about the activity of molecules in a gas, liquid or solid--cold is simply a statement about the relative absence of heat; light is a relative statement about the degree of radiation present which human eyes are able to detect--darkness is simply a statement about the relative absence of light.

As usual, theism depends upon simplistic and false definitions, and a shallow appeal to what sounds "cool" as opposed to a rigorous examination of first causes and evidence.

actually cold and darkness are the relative ones as light and heat are measurements
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:45 am
False again--measurement is an arbitrary statement about the relative amount of the "measurable" quantity or quality present.

None of which changes the fact that your heat/cold and light/dark analogy doesn't work.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:55 am
That last statement is poorly constructed. Measurement is an abitrary statement about a human's relative ability to detect a quality or a quantity.

You analogy fails because, although the concepts of heat and light are simply mental contructs, they do describe respectively, a state of matter and a presence of radiation, which human senses are capable of detecting. Cold and darkness are simply statements about the relative absence of heat and light.

Your analogy only works if you are willing to stipulate that "Satan" is a statement about the relative absence of "God." Which was clearly not your intention.
0 Replies

crimsontriad

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:58 am
Setanta wrote:
False again--measurement is an arbitrary statement about the relative amount of the "measurable" quantity or quality present.

None of which changes the fact that your heat/cold and light/dark analogy doesn't work.

notice that cold is the absence of heat 0K means there is no heat at all. heat is the presence cold is the absence.

anyways i think you are missing what i was trying to convey is that good and evil are dichotomous, just as are light and dark. and yes the analaogy can be dispelled by thinking in purely scientific terms, but i was taking a philosophical stance
0 Replies