Oscar and his Wilde, Wilde Ways

Letty

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 11:49 am
I can't remember who dragged me to this movie based on Wilde's novel, but I certainly recall the portrait. Shocked Now I realize what a great movie it truly was. The theme is not new, and RLS's ideas on the same topic are probably better known, but.......................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2000/10/12/picture_of_dorian_gray_1945_review.shtml

I'm rather surprised that a remake hasn't been done.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,488 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 08:51 am
This was actually a remake from three silent versions including one in German! It was remade again in a TV movie version:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0070533

Never having seen the silent versions, I can only say that I don't see how they could improve on the Hatfield version with the shock of the Technicolor ending. The TV remake was a passable version but the script and the direction was inferior.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 09:40 am
Sheeeeze, Mr. Wizard. You mean that ending was in technicolor? Shocked

No wonder I had nightmares.

Wasn't that Angela Lansbury's debut?

I had no idea that there was a TV version, and from what you say, I'm glad I didn't know.

Thanks for the link, incidentally.

In looking at your signature, I was reminded that yesterday was the anniversary of the Scopes monkey trial. I do believe that Gene Kelley played H.L. in Inherit the Wind. That was one of his best performances ever. WOW!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 04:41 pm
Landsbury's debut was in "Gaslight," without looking it up not too many years apart from this film.

The final portrait was is ghastly, living color to shock the audience into the how Dorian had slipped into the depths of drapravity -- more sinister than "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" because his evilness was hidden behind a handsome exterior. Not all the prints have the Technicolor finale but look for it on Turner Classic Movies who make it a point to show films as intended.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:26 am
Ah, and yes, Gene Kelly did play what I supposed was Mencken as a reporter and/or columnist but I'd have to watch the film again to be sure. It was a better performance than the critics gave him credit for as most of them thought he was miscast. Of course, nobody has to follow along with the critics if they personally enjoy any effort (well, maybe not "Howard the Duck."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:43 am
You know, Mr. Wizard, I equate Kelley's performance with Fred Astaire's in On the Beach. I have no idea what the critics thought about that, nor do I particularly care. That's one reason I like to respond before I read a review.

Often, song and dance performers are relegated to the "not-to-be-taken-seriously" corner. That's unfortunate.

Wow, I just remembered Frederick March's performance in Inherit the Wind. I do wonder how true the movie was to the actual Scope's trial?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:53 am
I saw the Hatfield version in film class, and more recently on digital cable, and it is undoubtedly the best version made to date. However, it is not nearly as creepy as the book itself, as often happens with adaptations. The only time I laughed in the movie was when they talked of Dorian Grey frequenting places of ill repute, and Wilde's opium den was sanitized into what looked like a local pub. "Good bye, little yellow bird..." That wasn't in the book either. Just wondering....could Angela Lansbury be related to Dick Clark? They just seem to look the same the older they get....unlike how Cary Grant aged...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:04 am
FYI on Landsbury:

Picture of Dorian Gray, The (1945) .... Sibyl Vane
National Velvet (1944) .... Edwina Brown
Gaslight (1944)

I think Kelly's performance has aged well and he does have a resemblance to Mencken -- he played down his looks in the part but I did find in trying to portray the character's conciseness, he came off as reciting some of his lines. Astaire has come off better in his dramatic outings -- one of the few stand out performances in "Towering Inferno" which was filled with the usual disaster characters.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:08 am
The play and then the film of "Inherit the Wind" follows the original court transcripts and was based a lot on Mencken's own writings. I'm sure there's some dramatic license here and there but it remains basically accurate to what was said on the stand. Curious that we still have people so backward that they can't bring themselves to believe the overwhelming scientific evidence of evolution even today!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:12 am
Cav, I think multiple face lifts may have been responsible for both actors' ability to defy gravity. In his later years, Grant stopped all that. I didn't read Wilde's book. so I cannot comment.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:20 am
Ooo, Letty, it is a great book!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:41 am
Thanks, Mr. Wizard. That's good to know. I realize the drama must be adapted, but I hate to see it totally changed.

Cav, Unfortunately, at that time in my life, the only thing that I read by Wilde was "The Selfish Giant". and it was excellent.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 11:25 am
Reading the book, I was chilled to the bone by the concept -- very Fruedian in its examination of the Id and what evilness it can harbor. Anything by Wilde is a great read, even the plays. The new version of "The Importance of Being Earnest" is a must see.
0 Replies