NEW EUROPE...THE THOUGHT OF OPPOSING AMERICA FEELS SO GOOD.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:45 am
Sofia wrote:
The EU doesn't even speak with one voice. I don't think they ever will.

Well, the EU "is neither a new State replacing existing ones nor is it comparable to other international organisations. Its Member States delegate sovereignty to common institutions representing the interests of the Union as a whole on questions of joint interest. All decisions and procedures are derived from the basic treaties ratified by the Member States."
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 12:02 pm
Sort of like the UN.

I wish them success, but I don't see them acheiving it. The in-fighting, debate, debate, wrangling for superiority within the framework of the EU...
I think they have shown already that they will be in-fighting more than acheiving anything of value.

I really thought it was awful the way Chirac insulted the smaller countries.

But, at any rate, it will be interesting to watch.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 12:08 pm
Sofia wrote:
Sort of like the UN.

Actually, not at all: the EU has a directly elected parliament ... ... ...

http://europa.eu.int/index_en.htm
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 12:10 pm
Walter, you must realize that most Americans' understanding of what goes on in Europe is pretty minimal. And that includes our current leaders, I'm afraid...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 12:13 pm
D'art--
I understand just fine.
It will still be a representative body, jockeying for superiority with different motives and goals.

Like the UN.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 12:15 pm
Sofia

Perhaps you really have a look at my link.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:14 pm
Walter, I briefly checked out your link...very detailed.

What do you and other Europeans view as some of the factors which Americans may not be able to grasp about Europe?
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:35 pm
Mapleleaf wrote:
Walter, I briefly checked out your link...very detailed.

What do you and other Europeans view as some of the factors which Americans may not be able to grasp about Europe?

Rome wasn't build in a day, neither will Europe. But isn't it an incredible achivement already? 60 years ago we crushed eachothers skulls. And now we sit at the same table and most of the time come to an agreement. Representatives from all memberstates are working hard in The Convention now and their conclusions will be made public next month.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:41 pm
EU binds its member states via immense numbers of laws - the acquis communautaire, that has precedense over domestic law. Unlike UN it has common agricultural and social policy, police force, functioning courts, implementation mechanism WITH sanctions and punishments. It rests on different principles and seeks very different goals, all in all, comparison to UN is not very useful, at best.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 03:07 pm
Thanks, frolic, Walter and dag. Nice to read what Europeans (or former Europeans) have to say on the subject. I get tired of hearing Americans explain it for us...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 05:07 pm
The comparison is this:
A representative govt.

Only the members are far more diverse than say the British parliament or the US congress. Not quite as varied as the UN...

But the myriad of issues they face, coupled with the extreme variance of needs, goals and cultures, represent quite a political tangle. The Brits and US, and other nations, have more concentrated issues. The UN is not focused on the detailed issues that will face the EU.

Hence, I feel the EU faces far greater problems than the UN or individual govts.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 09:06 pm
Sofia, if I have forgotten your background, forgive me, but is it possible your viewpoint is an example of a North American trying to explain a European experience?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:42 pm
Your opening post didn't specify who was welcomed to speak and who was not.

Since non-Americans are free to post their opinions about America, and since this is an open forum, I consider it my right to opine unless the thread header specifies otherwise.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:07 pm
Sofia

The United Kingdom is a member of the EU.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 12:10 am
Walter,
What made you think I didn't know that? I was comparing the national govts of England and the US to the larger bodies of the EU and UN.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 12:31 am
Well, Sofia, because of your comparison I've thaught so.

UN and EU are completely different, as dagmar and I tried to explain previously.
The relation of the US's parliament (and all the others) to the UN and those of the UK and all the other EU-member-states to the EU is a different pair of shoes.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 12:46 am
Well, why don't we move past that minor disagreement...

The recent UN disagreement has sparked new divisions in the EU. Notably France's rudeness to the smaller Eastern European countries, and the Franco German rift with England. Even though Blair seems to be making attempts to patch the thing up, I believe there is a real rivalry between England and France for the best seat at the EU table.

Given all the political divisions and egos, don't you think the myriad of conflicting goals and needs of each distinct region are a bit overwhelming? It would be hard enough to see to the needs of such a large piece of land, even if were one country.

dag said EU law has precedence over domestic law. Does this mean the member states have given up their laws for EU laws, or there are two sets of laws for member states--domestic and EU?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 12:57 am
Member laws have to be confirm with EU laws.
Some laws/regulations are completely by EU, member states/parliaments just ratify them.

From the Britannica:
Quote:

I'm a bit in a hurry, but I'm sure, my previously given link provides all this information, too.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 01:28 pm
It certainly confirms my feeling of no longer being an American citizen (except legally), but rather someone more concerned about the world. I think when you believe your country has turned criminal, the response must to be do whatever you can do stop it while giving one's allegiance to those fellow countrymen and other citizens of the world who want to help. My feeling about France's actions is that France is rather like a guy in the street who stuck out his foot to trip up the fleeing bank robber and now is being beaten up by the crowd for trying to stop the show... I'm on the side of the counterbalance and of a world in which there are no superpowers, but rather adult and peaceful nations working together.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 03:01 pm
As I understood it, the UN was never set up to be union of countries setting laws and regualtions for all. Rather, it had more of a watchdog role, a place where participating nations could come and be listened to, a body that would look to what was happening in the world, with various agencies set up within it to help and advise. Wheras the European Union is more or less what it states - a union of different European states, where trade and commerce and other things would be discussed and decided upon. And the one currency - the Euro - would be one of its strongest representations.

This business about France is distressing on many levels. It does present a childish and immature picture of the U.S. But France has been consistent in its attitudes and actions. From the start it thought, for many reasons, that pre-emptive war with Iraq was wrong, and it stuck by its principles. And then it finds itself punished and snubbed by an administration that had to look for many reasons for its pre-emptive strike. And the plain and simple fact is that most nations and countries in the world thought and still think that we were wrong on moral grounds, practical grounds - almost any grounds. And further - they rightly thought our motives from the beginning were clear and simple.

What is emerging is a picture of the U.S. wanting a puppet satellite country from which it can then set out to conquer and destroy others- most preferable those that have any connection to one of the ruling factors thus far on earth --- the control of the oil supplies.

I believe, Walter, that Bush has yet to contact your man? And they give short shrift to Canada, Mexico, Chile. I am further embarrassed when they publicize the names of the "willing coalition," including countries we've never heard of, countries who said they'd recognize air space, countries who've said they'd supply 70 troops, countries put down for the sake of showing numbers. And no, the Eastern European countries don't really count yet - they've just been admitted to NATO and are in the throes of that.

Sofia - I'd be mindful of declarations of disunity. When all is said and done, it looks like the Europeans think more of each other than they do of us. The Euro is growing stronger, as is the E.U. And one of the unifying things seems to be a growing dislike and distrust of the U.S. But, the U.S. as personified by the Bush-Rove-Rumsfeld administration. When the democrats come in, there will probably be a sigh of relief in many quarters.
0 Replies