NEW EUROPE...THE THOUGHT OF OPPOSING AMERICA FEELS SO GOOD.

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 11:42 am
Quote:
Germany's 'View from Pluto'
By Jeffrey Gedmin
From the International Desk
Published 5/5/2003 12:19 PM

...Americans are from Mars and Europeans are from Venus, says Robert Kagan. The Germans? They must be from Pluto.

It is easy to get a rise out of people in Germany. Just mention the 45-nation coalition that helped the United States and Britain in Iraq. "Yes, Micronesia and El Salvador!" comes the cynical, hooting reply. Or, bring up Tony Blair. There is only disdain for the British prime minister -- that "poodle" of the Americans -- and fury that other countries would support President George W. Bush. It is a source of great frustration that "real" countries joined the coalition -- nations like Japan, Australia, South Korea, Italy, Denmark, the Netherlands, Poland and Portugal.

"How could" -- Spanish Orime Minister Jose Maria -- "Aznar stab us in the back after all the subsidies we've provided over the years?" one Berliner wondered.

The old Atlantic alliance is crumbling. Germany's foreign policy is becoming more French, bent on rivalry and opposition to the United States. France is looking even more Gaullist. The European Union --that is to say, France and Germany or "Old Europe" -- was quick to pressure the United States about the United Nations' role in post-war Iraq...

...THE FULL ARTICLE

Since the fall of Soviet Union, the US has become the dominant power in the world. Do we really expect the countries of the world to continually subjugate themselves? Will the European Union become our main competitor?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 11,276 • Replies: 144
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 11:51 am
It may be in our best interest to have some kind of counter-balance to US power right now! And I don't mean terrorists.

In the not-so-distant past, Charles De Gaulle led France, and that country did take positions that weren't exactly what the US wanted. And that was during the height of the Cold War. So the fact they're doing that again shouldn't be so alarming...
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 12:33 pm
D',
As a concerned citizen of America, I would tend to agree with your statement,
Quote:
It may be in our best interest to have some kind of counter-balance to US power right now!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 12:44 pm
Well, definately not surprising.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 01:47 pm
I have some serious doubts about this 45-nation coalition.

Japan and South Korea joined because they depend on the US for their security and to counterbalance China and North-Korea.

Aznar from Spain has a neurotic fear of terrorism(he has been the subject of several assasination attemps) so he would do anything to get some support from the US for his fight against the ETA.

The leader of Italy is a crook and a Mafia leader so i would not be too proud on his willingness to join the coalition. Berlusconi does anything to get the judges of his tail and a war takes of the heat of domestic issues.

Portugal and The Netherlands only delivered lipservice to this coalition.

The only real allies are Great Britain and their ex-colony Australia.

And Poland. This last country do i find the hardest to understand. But i think they would do anything to opposite the Germans. And Germany and France do have a point about the payements. Western Europe(mainly Germany & France) paid so Ireland, Spain, Italy, Portugal and Greece catched up and joined the subtop of industrialised countries. And now Eastern Europe expects the same. It is the only reason why they joined the EU in the first place.

I've hoped for a signal of France and Germany to the newcomers. A signal like putting Poland on hold for a few years. Just to show the others you cant take all the merits and dodge all the costs and sacrifices.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 03:53 pm
Well, the US is big and powerful, and right now is THE power to contend with, not only militarily but also economically. Any country in this position will incur wrath, opposition, envy, and resentment.

What is happening now in large measurement, so far as I can see, is that a lot of the negative feelings have been personailzed. There are a lot of references to Bush (representing the present White House cabal). Apparently about 90% of the Spaniards do not agree with the stand Aznar has taken, and public opinion there does count. Italy is a joke as far as being an ally. Portugal was distressed that the Azores was even offered as a meeting. And Blair looks like his party is losing seats and strengths.

The US has done some pretty dumb things in the name of Arrogance, and seems to feel that the rest of the world is too dumb or blind to see. Great Britain and Australia, our two loyal allies, were never even offered a chance to submit bids on the lucrative rebuilding of Iraq. And I notice far fewer referneces on our part now to Afghanistan, which is so obviously not a success.

Nothing about any of this is new. What is different and disconcerting is to actually see the word punishment used by our government in describing feelings and actions about and against other countries. We are beginning to look petty and childish, and perhaps less powerful.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:03 pm
The European Union may become a meaningful counter-balance, but not too soon. It will take at least another decade, probably more, for the integration process to run the full course. It is more of an economic than a political union at this point in time, but with the ever more coordinated common social regulations, and the prospects of common security and defense policy, as well as strengthening of the central decision-making bodies, the EU will grow stronger as a political unit. It needs to become more transparent and accountable, so that it becomes understandable and accessible (and thus more 'real') to the 'common' people. I believe it is a matter of time. I am not in favor of strong superpowers, but I agree that it's for the best at this moment in history. Better two superpowers than one.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:13 pm
the dialectic is ever present
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:22 pm
Hmmmm WHAT coalition? How is it a coalition of 45 if only Great Britain and her TWO ex-colonies, Frolic, Australia and the USA were actively involved?

I hope the EU is able to provide a counter-balance to the US soon.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:23 pm
dyslexia wrote:
the dialectic is ever present

Yes, but it has been remarkably like one hand whacking lately, nicht wahr?
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 03:06 am
from "Le Monde"
You no longer belong to the United Nations of America.
http://a1692.g.akamai.net/f/1692/2042/1d/medias.lemonde.fr/medias/image_article/03050902_irak+x1se.jpg
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 04:26 am
I love cartoons.....
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 04:29 am
We need another super power. The one is becoming a dangerous rogue state.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 07:39 am
Good, thoughtful post, mamaj, and clearly up to your own sig line.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 08:05 am
I do not believe in sincerity of French position. It is all about economical interests. French companies cooperated with the toppled dictator, and France feared that the new regime may give preference to their American competitors. Besides this, France and Russia provided Iraq with intelligence information, assisted Saddam to circumvent sanctions regime, and they were concerned of possibility of disclosure (and it actually happened, some documents confirming this are in hands of the American investigators). I do not think that France may serve a desirable counterbalance to the U.S.: its policies are opportunistic and lacking any moral principles.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 09:42 am
steissd wrote:
I do not believe in sincerity of French position. It is all about economical interests.

And the U.S. position isn't? Have you ever heard of Halliburton, steissd?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:55 am
steissd wrote:
I do not think that France may serve a desirable counterbalance to the U.S.: its policies are opportunistic and lacking any moral principles.

Just on this, steissd:

"oppurtunistic" - to whom/what, and why is that per se undesirable?

"lacking any moral principles" - to what established principles are you specially referring at?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:24 am
Opposing America will be very instructive to the opposition.
A competing, self-sufficient military will be necessary. I don't think they can clear that first hurdle. They don't have the money.

And, of course, I'm not talking about us turning our militaries on one another-- But who will listen to anything you have to say, if you can't back it up?

Talk softly and carry a big stick-- US
Talk big and have no stick-- France

The EU doesn't even speak with one voice. I don't think they ever will.

I would welcome another Superpower, but I don't see it happening. Meanwhile, the US is criticised for everything that happens under the sun, for the primary sin of outlasting the USSR.

IMV, this country could have been a much worse global neighbor with all our power. I am proud of my country.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:36 am
Sofia wrote:
Talk softly and carry a big stick-- US

Huh? Is this the same US I live in? There's a been a lot of verbal bullying. It may serve a purpose, but it sure ain't subtle...
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:40 am
Sofia wrote:

Talk big and have no stick-- France

They have their "force de frappe". France is strong enough not to be attacked by any sane leader in this world.
0 Replies