Hollywood Studios to Sell Movies Online

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 03:46 am
Quote:
Hollywood studios will start selling digital versions of films such as "Brokeback Mountain" and "King Kong" on the Internet this week, the first time major movies have been available online to own.

The films can't be burned onto a disc for viewing on a DVD player. Still, the move is seen as a step toward full digital distribution of movies over the Internet.

Six studios said they would announce Monday that sales will begin through the download Web site Movielink. The site is jointly owned by five of the seven major studios.

Warner Bros., Universal Pictures, Sony Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox and MGM will offer some first-run and older titles on Movielink. New films will be priced similar to DVDs _ between $20 and $30 _ while older titles will sell for $10 to $20.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/03/D8GOD5O80.html

In my case, I have thousands of VHS tapes (which are probably mouldering, as we speak), and hundreds of DVDS. A year or so ago, I put my foot down, and told my husband that I did not want us to buy one more film. We now rent through Blockbuster Online, and have seen more films than we ever needed.

I think that the thing is that I have no particular desire to see a film as soon as it is released. I can wait. I rrarely go to the movies anymore. I put "Brokeback Mountain" at the top of my Blockbuster queue. When it comes, it comes.

Would you spend $20- $30 for a film that you can only play on your computer? What do you think of this entire idea? Is it going to "fly"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 910 • Replies: 8
No top replies

material girl

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:13 am
I like the whole processof waiting for it to turn up at the cinema, watching it on the big screen, then possibly buying it for far less than $20 if its worth buying.

Why see a film on a monitor when you can see it on a cinema screen.Its so much better!!!

I think it will be a novelty at first then die down, its not like downloading music which is easier to use coz your listening to it, not having to find time to sit down and watch a film.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:34 am
I don't want my computer to be like a TV. So, no, I don't expect to buy these movies.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:18 am
I takes time to download a movie but if you have something else to do during that time, it won't seem long, especially if you are going to be on the computer for an hour or so. I'm going to have a lot of guests for the first time I show "Brokeback Mountain" and "King Kong" which is the closest to a theater experience one can get. In either case, I've bought a case of Kleenex.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:22 am
It's only a matter of time before some bright kid comes up with a hack that lets you burn these to disc.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 01:13 pm
wow is it really that expensive? 20-30 dollars? I am sure that eventually the price will go down and then I would...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 03:56 pm
Yes, that's way too much if one isn't allowed to make at least one copy. I can copy off of cable onto my DMR and burn discs and have done it. It's a matter of whether one is concerned about waiting a couple of months for movies to show up on cable Pay-Per-View (about $4.00) and then on HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 04:01 pm
I buy new release DVDs for $14.95 and can watch them when and where I want to. There iss't any way I'm going to pay $20+ to go through the hassle of downloading it and then being forced to watch it on my PC.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 05:04 pm
"Crash," for instance, is now at $9.95 and will already be on Showtime next month.
0 Replies