IT manager

abbasi

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:38 am
the vice president of accounting says to you, the IT directive,"this system development life cycle stuff takes too long ".she tells you that her people know what they are doing and that all system request comming from her department are necessary and important to the organization. she suggest that the IT department bypass the initial steps for any accounting department request and immedietly get to work at the soloution.what would you say to her?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,586 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:46 am
I'd explain that while her people may know what they are doing they probably aren't aware of what everyone else is doing and how their requirements might interface with the accounting requirements. For example, how an accounting requirement just might muck up the customer service or operations people. (you'd have to adjust that to fit in with the specifics of your business although your question sounds more academic than practical...)

There are many "best practices" for application development and people have learned time after time that taking shortcuts on requirement definition and such leads to a lot more problems down the road than the problems it creates up-front.
0 Replies