Would religion be popular if there was no promise of Heaven

Chumly

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 01:56 am
xingu wrote:
You do as I say, let me be the boss and I'll let you live with me.

If not then you can go to hell.

Ah yes, you must have known my second wife too!
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 02:03 am
Hep,

I don't need the threat of Hell, or the promise of Heaven to be a good person! I feel that you would be a class act, something I have always thought you are, regardless of the presence (real or perceived) of "God"!!

Anon
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 02:42 am
fishin' wrote:
The lack of a heaven doesn't seem to be a problem for the Hindus, Buddhists and Taoists of the world. (Hindus comprise the 3rd largest religion in the world.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Judaism has a real emphasis on the afterlife either.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 02:48 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Judaism has a real emphasis on the afterlife either.
Judaism has a real emphasis on God & Carpeting.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:11 am
Of course not. Religion is the narcotic of the masses. The poor deluded sheep who are so frightened they need a benevolent protector to lean on.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:05 am
carpeting?

come again?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:08 am
Quote:
Then enjoy your enternal life in hell; you make it seem like a joke?

"In front of such a one is Hell, and he is given, for drink, boiling fetid water. In gulps he will sip it, but never will he be near swallowing it: death will come to him from every quarter, yet will he not die. Harrowing torment awaits him." (Ibrahim, 16-17)

Raul

Why do you keep trying to make the Muslim religion look so bad?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:37 am
Raul-7 wrote:
neologist wrote:
I'm quite satisfied knowing I will not go to heaven.

Then enjoy your enternal life in hell; you make it seem like a joke?
Are you asking me or telling me?

If you really understood the OT, you would know that
1] the soul is not immortal and
2] there is no such thing as eternal torment in hell.

If your religion is based on the OT, how did you miss it?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:53 am
Eorl wrote:
Thanks hepzibah, nice answer. Smile

Your welcome. Thank you. Smile
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:56 am
Anon-Voter wrote:
Hep,

I don't need the threat of Hell, or the promise of Heaven to be a good person! I feel that you would be a class act, something I have always thought you are, regardless of the presence (real or perceived) of "God"!!

Anon

Anon, thanks. Smile The feeling is mutual. Smile
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:15 am
Wilso wrote:
Of course not. Religion is the narcotic of the masses. The poor deluded sheep who are so frightened they need a benevolent protector to lean on.

Interesting perspective. Well... you know... religion is not the only narcotic out the for "poor deluded sheep who are frightened".
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:36 am
This is an excelllent question!

Well to some Religion would completely lose out. Those would be those who look for religion as a ferry between this world and the next. Someone in this thread meantioned how Hindu's and other eastern religions don't create a notion of heaven and yet have a great following.

There's no simple answer, but I think that the answer could only be found for groups of people evaluating both thier religion and thier culture equally.

As a general guess, I'd say the Abrahamic faith's would take the largest loss in volume.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:10 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Wilso wrote:

Interesting perspective. Well... you know... religion is not the only narcotic out the for "poor deluded sheep who are frightened".

No question of that. But it's incredible how many former addicts "find god". One of the twelve steps involves giving your self over to the higher power. But whether a physical narcotic, or a spiritual narcotic, it's still a way to avoid reality. Though I will concede that the spiritual narcotic doesn't destroy the body as heroin will.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:03 pm
LOL wilso... you ever sat in on an AA meeting? Sorry, not laughing at you, I promise. Yeah, you are correct one of the steps is giving yourself over to the "higher power". However, that "higher power" could be the tree your dog just peed on in the park the other day... LOL Whew... Ok, really, they do not like any mention of "God" in AA meetings, simply because they don't really embrace the idea of a "God". It's not about theology, but rather using the support system around you to find out what your "higher power" is. (Yeah, you guessed it. I spent some time there. Rolling Eyes)

It is incredible how many addicts find God. I think it's completely understandable. They are searching to fill a need that was once filled by something and now isn't. Obviously that need got there somehow and their first choice was to try and fill it with drugs, or alcohol, or whatever. For some people "reality" is just too harsh to deal with. I was like that for many years. When life serves you the same plate of crap over and over and over, eventually a persons will breaks. At least that has been my experience. Which is pretty much all I've got to go on... LOL
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:19 pm
Heaven and hell might work for a few thiests, but for a very visible percentage, it isn't really that important. Now, take a way the chance to tell people how to live their lives, and deny them the opportunity to look down on the rest of us, and they'd be gone in a New York second.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:19 pm
I am a reformed addict, and quite often attend NA meetings. The higher power part is the one aspect which I find difficult.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:27 pm
roger wrote:
Heaven and hell might work for a few thiests, but for a very visible percentage, it isn't really that important. Now, take a way the chance to tell people how to live their lives, and deny them the opportunity to look down on the rest of us, and they'd be gone in a New York second.

You know what though roger? I don't think they always mean to do that. I think that they believe what they are doing is the right thing. I don't know. I can't really speak for "them" I guess. But I can say that was true about me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:34 pm
Well, of course you can't. You aren't "them".
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:34 pm
Wilso wrote:
I am a reformed addict, and quite often attend NA meetings. The higher power part is the one aspect which I find difficult.

Awww I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be insensative. I'm glad to hear you are reformed. I can understand why you would struggle with the higher power thing. Finally I can understand. I had a problem with it at the time, but my problem came out of religiosity. I was like, "Harumph! Not acknowledge God! How dare you!"
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:38 pm
roger wrote:
Well, of course you can't. You aren't "them".

Nope, I'm sure not. Razz Well... now that I think about it... most of the time anyway. Wink
0 Replies