driving without a license

Equus

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:59 am
I recently was pulled over by police for having one headlight out. I discovered (as unfortunately so did the police) that my driver's license had also expired. I was given a ticket, but the fine for driving without a license is to be set by the judge. I'm worried about how much it will be.

If the fine for a missing headlight was $50, what is the fine for driving with an expired license likely to be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,108 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 12:02 pm
I went through this with an expired registration. The officer advised me to get it renewed before going to court, and the case would be dismissed. He was right, though I believe this was in Oklahoma. Be sure your insurance is also up to date before going to court.

Your case may differ, but that was my experience.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 12:08 pm
Oklahoma seems to be surprisingly liberal in it's traffic laws. I once had a case where the guy was found intoxicated behind the wheel at a rest stop and an unlit marijuana cigarette was discovered on the floor by his feet. The cops cited him, took him to the local hoosegow and he was fined $100. He paid the fine and he was let go, all in the space of an afternoon.
0 Replies

graemedaulby

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 02:23 pm
it should be about twice that
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 02:30 pm
As mentioned, laws vary state-by-state, but typically, if violations such as license or registration lapse (that's "lapse", as in expired - usually relatively recently - not suspended, revoked or non-existant, which are other matters entirely) or missing or faulty required equipment are verifiably corrected prior to the court date, penalties are reduced if not altogether waived.

That's been my experience in several states, across a variety of instances over the years Embarrassed Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 05:42 pm
Equus-

It depends on how short of dough they are.They would crucify you if they thought it wouldn't cause a storm of protest or clean you out otherwise.

Not obeying the rules is a serious offence.
0 Replies

octane

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:57 pm
really an unemployment certificate
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:11 am
FYI if you are interested: the judge dismissed the charge for driving with an expired license when I demonstrated I had had it renewed.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:12 am
Dodged that bullet.
0 Replies

ShadowRaven66669

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 06:35 pm
As long as you get it renewed before court, it shouldn't be a problem. It should be a minimal fine, if any at all.
0 Replies