Oxford terms

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 06:44 am
I read somewhere that Oxford University terms are Michaelmas (before Christmas), Hilary (after New Year) and Trinity (Summer). 'Hilary' is not even an entry in my dictionary; is it a misspelling? And I'd like to know why the terms are named 'Hilary' and 'Trinity'. I 'd guess Oxford was run by monks in early years and their term names all had to do with Christian rite. Am I on the right track?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,296 • Replies: 3
No top replies

saab

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:26 am
Hilary term is the second academic term of Oxford University's academic year. It runs from January to March. It is the term that begins on the first sunday after the feast day of St Hilary of Poiters, 14 January and all the other terms are dated from this day in the following way.

Michaelmas term - 13 Sundays before to 5 Sundays before the feast day of St Hilary Hilary term - 1 Sunday to 9 Sundays after the feast day of St Hilary Trinity term - 15 Sundays to 21 Sundays after the feast day of St Hilary

Michaelmas term
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michaelmas

Trinity term is the name of the third and final term of Oxford University's academic year. It runs from April to June. Examinations are usually held during seventh week of this term, and are usually followed by a tradition called trashing.
0 Replies

lilcloud

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 12:15 pm
I am on the right track. Thanks saab.
0 Replies

octane

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:02 pm
You are not a monk so really you are on the right track !!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies