Australian Prime Minister "Almost a Texan."

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:09 am
C'mon, Little k, what did you want to ask, or rant about?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:16 am
Er - give me a clue, Little k!!!!

Are you talking about sending police and troops to the Solomons?

I have been ill again, so I am not way up on that, but I believe the elected government has requested it - there were pix of their Prime Minister, or whatever he is, in Canberra smiling and shaking hands anyway.

The Solomons is suffering severe internal strife - I do not know the ins and outs and such, but it is in dire straits.

Oz is sort of the USA of the Pacific - big(ger), powerful(ler) and rich(er) - so we get the same stuff - "intervene you big, uncaring wusses", "stay out, you imperialistic, bullying, racist pigs".

I imagine this intervention is being done with reasonable motives - but I imagine it will be greeted very ambivalently by the region (see above) - and I hope it doesn't turn out to be some terrible quagmir e - like Vietnam, or somesuch.

If you are talking about some other Howard horror, well, like I said - give us a clue!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:22 am
http://www.abc.net.au/asiapacific/location/pacific/GoAsiaPacificLocationPacStorie_889389.htm

There - that should cover it well, if you go to the links and listen to the radio report.

Re the UN, doh - Downer was hardly gonna support its intervention preferences after going in to Iraq with the US, was he? Grrrrrrrrr.

I fear this government has had a militaristic rush of blood to its head - though, as I said, I have no opinion as yet about the Solomons.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:24 am
Crikey, Setanta - our dollar was worth significantly mor ethan the Canadian dollar only a wee while ago! What happened?

Jeannette is Mrs Howard.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:27 am
Don't know about that, Cunning Coney, i just know that it was trading roughly at par in Tarana this last weekend, at the bureaux de change . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 06:00 am
yes - I believe you - I am just shocked!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:41 am
Deb, I go to bed at midnight(ish) hahaha, but you pretty much nailed it with the post about the Solomons. I heard a brief snippet of news on NPR/BUR radio about John Howard's proclamaition that he didn't need the support of the world to do what he wanted. And I thought - huh? Seems the population of OZ is almost too small to police the world.

What's going on int eh solomon islands?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:09 am
Well, New Zealand and Papua Nuiguini are sending people, too.

It is some kind of civil war - just trying to find some details somewhere.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:11 am
From Nine MSN - of all places...

NZ troops to help Solomons govt

Intervention by New Zealand police and armed forces in the Solomon Islands would enable its government to regain control of the troubled nation, New Zealand's top foreign affairs official says.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade chief executive Simon Murdoch was speaking on behalf of Foreign Minister Phil Goff at the opening of the University of Otago's annual Foreign Policy School.

Mr Goff was scheduled to speak, but instead is travelling to Adelaide for bilateral talks with his Australian counterpart, Alexander Downer.

He will then move on to Sydney for talks with representatives of other Pacific nations on the deteriorating situation in the Solomon Islands, which has resulted in wide-spread lawlessness and violence.

Delivering Mr Goff's speech, Mr Murdoch said New Zealand was "deeply engaged on the ground" in both the Solomons and Bougainville in helping restore basic stability and governability.

In an interview he said: "Mr Goff has signalled that the type of thing under contemplation involved both police and military elements."

"It's about the basic idea of creating a pause for the Solomon Islands Government so that their own institutions of law and order can begin to function and focus on some of the problems," he said.

Mr Murdoch declined to comment on the number of personnel New Zealand would commit, but confirmed a number had been discussed. Australia is expected to send about 2000 troops to the islands.

In the speech, which concerned the ethics of foreign policy, he said: "What is amply clear is that New Zealand does not have the capabilities, in power terms, to muscle its way through problems. Going it alone is not an option for us. We need to be team players."

In order to be heard, New Zealand must have the right credentials and "belong to the relevant clubs", Mr Murdoch said.

"We must be seen to pull our weight, have the ability to co-operate and pay our dues... We must also be prepared to act."

New Zealand's response to the crisis in Iraq illustrated New Zealand's foreign policy, Mr Murdoch said.

During the conflict, to which New Zealand did not commit troops, the country was keen to commit to the United Nations as the pre-eminent body in the resolution of international conflicts; affirm its belief that international law was the best guarantor of international security, especially for small nations; support the elimination of weapons of mass destruction; respond to the humanitarian needs of the people of Iraq; and maintain a network of contacts with countries with similar views.

Sixteen foreign policy experts from throughout the world will be speaking at the four-day foreign policy school.

Among them will be the Premier of New South Wales, Bob Carr, Appeal Court judge Justice Sir Kenneth Keith, United States defence policy board member Richard Allen, and Dr Susan Lamb, from the prosecutor's office at the International Criminal Tribunal for former Yugoslavia, as well as high-profile academics.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:18 am
interesting!

I wonder how they got into this mess? Where's the " peoples' " view?

Is that a well-rounded group meeting to discuss?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:23 am
should we start a different thread on the solomon islands?

Here's a link to a transcript of a radio show "The World Today" from june 27th.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2003/s889845.htm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:25 am
{what is this? http://www.abc.net.au/ra/tokpisin/default.htm }
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:25 am
Sure - why not.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:27 am
That is a thing for Papua Nuiguini - it is in Pidgin - it seems there are several types of Pidgin!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:29 am
I can't find anything decent on the Solomons - the ABC search function isn't working for me. I will look tomorrow if someone else hasn't found anything decent.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:30 am
So, there's corruption and bancrupcy of the Solomon government..... and prolly at least some MINOR human rights infringements.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:33 am
http://www.goasiapacific.com/specials/solomons/default.htm

Here is something.

My sense of the Solomons is it is a mess! Veeeery bad stuff happening.

I know we have been criticised for NOT going in - and I am relieved to see New Zealand and Nuigiuni (damned if I can figure out how to spell it right!) are both going in, too.
0 Replies