Australian Prime Minister "Almost a Texan."

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 08:56 am
Australian Prime Minister, John Howard (who?) is currently having a wonderful time being taken around the US by George W Bush, on a kind of thank you excursion arranged for going to Iraq - well, Mr Howard didn't so much go himself, he sent a few thousand troops, but it seems they won't be getting the trip to Texas.

Lovely photographs have been sent home of Mr Howard speaking on aircaft carriers with Mr Bush, and waving from the doors of photogenic Airforce One helicopters and aeroplanes and such, or walking in the Texan sun at the western white house.

If I am any sample, millions of Australians cringed at the sight - but especially at hearing Mr Bush declare our "honest John" (what?) as an "almost Texan".

It seems we might get a free trade agreement out of the whole thing - unless the usual lobby groups manage to deflect, or overturn it.

Oh well.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,6374161%255E2702,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,333 • Replies: 36
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 08:58 am
You gotta love the mugs..... I bet they get remaindered - Mr Howard is not the most photogenic of politicians.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 10:10 am
ickiepoo - Almost Texan? Is that supposed to be a compliment? What exactly does it mean? I didn't see the pix when I clicked the link..... going to search elsewhere....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 10:12 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1051987603040_2003/05/04/05n_barney,0.jpg

That one is particularly funny.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 10:15 am
Quote:
To the President the Prime Minister was "a man of courage", a "clear thinker", "a man of steel", "a man of heart" and - highest accolade of all - "kinda like a Texan".

but

Quote:
In response the Prime Minister was a tad more restrained about his host. He respected the President's leadership and thanked him for his hospitality.

love the headlines:

Much mutual petting at Howard and Bush love-in
and
Love runs deep in the heart of Texas
0 Replies

Gen

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 10:17 am
Being naught from the land of Oz, I would think that " almost a texan " would be an insult.

What was our "Bush baby" thinking of I wonder? Probably trying to be cute and coy... *Sighs* Yet another failed attempt.
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 10:19 am
Millions of Americans cringe at just about everything our President says. He's just not terribly bright. Unfortunately, the people behind him are extremely crafty.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 10:19 am
I think Bush truely believes that he encompasses all that is good and right in the world. Scares the pants off me! And of course, being Texan is part of that. I think he was thinking it would be a nice compliment for the aussie. And, yes, he was prolly being a bit coy Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 10:55 am
I wonder, if the above noted news has anything to do with this:
http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1051987603062_2003/05/04/05n_obese,0.jpg

Australia, US the most overweight
May 5 2003
By Amanda Dunn
Health Reporter

Australians are now equal with Americans as the most overweight people in the world.
Article in "The Age"
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 01:37 pm
Almost a Texan! Paaahhh! What a load of patronising crap! Some considerable brown-nosing going on there!

I'm afraid George W. is nothing like an Aussie! And never will be! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 04:01 pm
Oh dearie, dearie me, Margo! Some jingoism creeping in here?

Howard manages to do a great job of being a graceless, ungenerous, uncompassionate man and he is all, all ours!

I think we have proportionately at least as many a** holes as the US does.

God it is a sick-making display, though - he might as well be a pet monkey - Howard I mean.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 08:57 pm
Welcome to the country of New Texas (the former Commonwealth of Australia). We just want y'all to feel right at home here. Just mosie on over to the barbi..... cookout and have yourself a Fosters Blue Ribbon beer and some chitlins. Sorry about all the native borns throwing up, might take them a while to get used to Blue Ribbon beer and chitlins.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:22 pm
Dubya is nothing like a Texan either and by the way the rigid code of the west, of the cowboy, was that he that shoots first is always guilty........cowboys have honor, Dubya is no cowboy....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 01:23 am
Bad news Bush
By Leo McKinney

... ...
I come to plead for understanding for myself and my Texas brethren. If you should meet a Texan, please do not automatically assume that he or she cheers at executions or advocates the invasion of sovereign nations for questionable motives. Bush is famous for being a Texan, but he is not the face of Texas.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/05/1051987640077.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 02:25 am
Oh, good grief, John Howard!!!! Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 08:32 am
Thanks for that link, Walter. A very good article.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:38 pm
ah yes, dlowan, this woulda been a good spot to discuss the recent statements of Howard's. He doesn't need the backing of the UN to do what exactly?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:46 pm
I wouldn't be terribly thrilled at the prospect of a free trade agreement--when i was in Tarana last week, the Oztralian dollar was trading at .9879 to the Canajun dollar, which is at par for all practical purposes--and the Canajun dollar has been steadily climbing against the Yankee dollar . . .

Welcome to the Monkey House . . .
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:48 pm
Spank Jeannette.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:50 pm
who is Jeanette?
0 Replies