Ebert's GREAT MOVIES Part Two: "Pulp Fiction"

Booman

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 07:20 pm
This is a movie, I can watch a multitude of times. and I can't say that about every movie I like.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 08:10 pm
Hey, Welcome Booman!

Hope you voted in the poll.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 11:05 pm
I have seen "Pulp Fiction" only once. I found it to be more quirky than violent. It's screenplay was excellent, especially at the satirical level.
It was made to look like a "cheap" movie. That was part of its farcical
aspect, as it emulated similar B-movies of the satirical 1950's, especially. The
interplay between Messrs. Travolta and Jackson was surprising.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 08:52 am
Welcome, WH!

PF was on cable last night and I hadn't seen it for a long time so I watched. Part of the "cheapness" look is in the comic book colors -- one could even do a great comic book out of the film.

The chronology makes more sense to me and the pivotal scene is the cleaning up of the car -- Tarentino is fantastic, being properly miffed about the two showing up at his house with a dead body and a customized interior car. They both look like kids who just pulled a silly prank and are being verbally punished. Hilarious. Then, of course, Keitel shows up to "straighten everything up." When he explains that the have to "detail" the car, I can't help breaking out in laughter. They are like Laurel and Hardy ("What a fine mess you've gotten us into.")
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 03:36 pm
O.K. ..I'm getting the hang of this finally. thanks for the welcome GW, I voted for Samuel L.....Now I've got to play catch-up.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 03:45 pm
Welcome to Part 3:

"Bonnie and Clyde"
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 03:05 pm
I was deciding between Bruce and Christopher and finally ended with Bruce although I really belive its a tie.
I could watch this movie anytime its on, think it was fabulously well done, and I especially enjoyed the chronology and then saw Memento which now ranks as number 1 pushing Pulp Fiction to #2 in that realm.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 12:21 am
pulp fiction part two
I remember with clarity the day I first saw Pulp Fiction. For a moment, it was a bit confusing, but by the time they got to the friends house with the boys head all over the inside of the car - I could not stop myself. I busted out laughing....and before you know it, so were alot of people. I mean it was just WICKEDLY FUNNY! Never have I seen such perfect DARK humor as in this movie. "Say "what" again one time, ************, I dare you, say "what" and the kid says "what" so Samuel shoots him..... and "Do you see a sign on my front lawn that says dead nigger storage, NO, you don't" And the "concept" during Samuel and John's conversation PRIOR to the coffeehouse robbery about the fact that Samuel will, in Johns opinion, not have a job, if he just up and goes off to walk the earth, after the miracle he claims has happened, he will be a bum, like not a useful member of society, meanwhile - the two of them are both, more or less, hit men for a gangster! They are discussing names at McDonalds in Europe, and whether or not some guy did or didn't give Marcellus' wife a foot massage and what significance this may or may not have, when suddenly they say "OK It's time, lets get into character" and then they go kill all the people inside the apartment ( well almost anyway) It should have won the Oscar for best movie of the past 5 YEARS!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 10:44 am
Hi Letti Good to see you!
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 05:35 am
The first ime I saw PF my buddy and I packed up a gourmet basket full of cheeses and crackers and smoked salmon and stuff. We brought along a great bottle of wine and went to see the movie at the drive-in. Godamighty there ain't nothing like seeing that film under the stars. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 01:09 pm
Interesting anecdote -- I hope the "died and gone to heaven" didn't kick in during the accidental (?) whacking in the car -- John Travolta has never brought across a scene like he did with that one (playing off of Jackson's brilliant performance, of course).
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 01:42 pm
GW,
...You mention that, as Travolta's greatest scene. What do you rate as his greatest overall performance. I vote for Faces/Off. To see him and Cage playing characters that take on each others personality, was a double tour de force. I didn't expect it out of Travolta.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 02:09 pm
A respectable psychological action thriller but not a film I will return to often. "Blow Out" was Travolta's best overall performance.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 02:12 pm
And I still appreciate his work in "Saturday Night Fever." After "Battlefield Earth," there's no place to go but up! Those dreadlocks and gigantic clogs were so laughable I couldn't get through that film without laughing hysterically. Of course, it's pulp space opera by his mentor in Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard who I met several times and is truly a kook.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 03:11 pm
I'll have to be on the lookout for "Blowout"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 03:46 pm
"Blowout:" http://us.imdb.com/Title?0082085
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 04:01 pm
Good looking out...Now I will take time out...to check this link out... For "Blowout"
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 06:08 pm
Agree that Blowout was fabulous...a must see

I actually enjoyed the comedic Battleship...or was it not supposed to be a comedy?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 06:26 pm
Laughing Crying or Very sad Yes, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry -- they weren't doing a parody but it certainly seemed like it. Try to read any of L. Ron Hubbard's fiction if you want a really good laugh and then tell me you'd put any credence in Scientology whatsoever.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 06:37 pm
Id rather not even bother picking it up, but Ill keep it in mind for if I ever feel the need, thanks Smile
0 Replies