Jesus

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 12:50 pm
My favorite quote comes from Jesus Christ: "I am the way and the truth and life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,606 • Replies: 15
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:50 pm
did jesus say, "i'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy", cause that's one of my favourite quotes
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:58 pm
Interesting trivial note about Jesus' comments from the cross: When he says "My God, why hast thou forsaken me?", he was not expressing doubt. This is the second verse of Psalm 22, so he was reciting a Psalm. This Psalm refers to dying while evildoers watch and laugh, and are casting lots for his clothing; which was pretty much what was happening to Jesus at the time.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:00 pm
chr42690, consider also

"Who says I am not under the special protection of God?"

Adolf Hitler
0 Replies

chr42690

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:03 pm
Jesus' claims to be the Messiah can be proven. Read The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. Also, I can't believe you are comparing Jesus to Hitler. What absurdity!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:04 pm
Really, Jesus couldn't conquer a wet paper bag.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:05 pm
dog bless you my son
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:07 pm
yeah really? I would have compared jesus to moe or perhaps curly.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 03:22 pm
chr42690

The comparison was in the use of "word magic", not "deeds".

Exactly the same word magic was operating at Hitler rallies when the "Hitler Oath" was chanted as when "the Lords Prayer" is chanted. This hypnosis or mindless submission persists as an eternal opiate. ,
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 03:23 pm
opium is the opiate of the masses
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 03:26 pm
..and masses are the opium of some of those addicts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 03:41 pm
and critical masses go blooey.
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 12:34 pm
Re: Jesus
chr42690 wrote:
My favorite quote comes from Jesus Christ: "I am the way and the truth and life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Can you expound a bit on exactly why you like that one best? And what, exactly, does it mean as far as your own understanding? What's the benefit of telling us that?

I'm not being snide, just digging.

My favorite? Thought you'd never ask... :wink:

Jesus answered him,
"If anyone loves me, he will keep my word. Then my Father will love him, and we will go to him and make our home within him.
The one who does not love me does not keep my words. The word that you hear is not mine, but comes from the Father who sent me.

John 14:23-24

I am leaving peace with you. I am giving you my own peace. I am not giving it to you as the world gives.
So do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.

John 14:27

Why?

Because the entire answer is right there, plain and simple: keep his word.

What is that word?

Love.

Forget conversion, forget christianity, forget religion, forget doctrine, dogma, church services, and endless contentions over words and who's right according to God and who's going to 'hell.' Forget division and even forget 'sin.' Definitely shun judgments and comparisons.

Just love one another. If you do that, then the much-disputed elusive animal called 'truth' will come to live inside you. Nothing changes, except finally you can see. Yourself, and God--in everyone you look at!

That's all it takes. No one seems to listen to the things that actually do make sense--none of it matters, anyway, if you don't devote your godliness to your brother.

You can say you love God all you want but to actually 'love' God is to love your neighbor as yourself--satanist, atheist, pot-smokers, and neo-cons alike.

Can you do it?
0 Replies

chr42690

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 07:04 pm
This is my favorite quote because it shows that God/Jesus is the only one we can go to for salvation. No other religion or faith provides this sort of statement which is what makes the Christian God so unique and awesome.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 07:50 pm
And just another fairytale.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 08:47 pm
Matt 7:1-2 - "Don't criticise people, and you will not be criticised. For you will be judged by the way you criticise others, and the measure you give will be the measure you receive."
0 Replies