Computer reads Web pages aloud

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 12:21 pm
I came across a small note, probably in either Computer World or Computer Magazine, which referred to the ability of a computer running Windows XP to read Web pages aloud with the push of two keys. One key was the Windows key, and the other is what I can't remember.

Am I dreaming?

Confused Confused Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 493 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Monger

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 02:34 pm
Well, the Microsoft Utility Manager is launched via Windows Key + U. By default, that will automatically start Microsoft Narrator, which is the only built-in text-to-speech product in Windows (you can certainly get more fully featured 3rd-party products). Your milage with Narrator may vary. I'm not sure how to make it read an entire webpage.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 03:02 pm
Thanks, Monhger, that's just the info I was looking for.

BTW - LOVE your avatar!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 10:11 am
Computer reads Web pages aloud
I tried the Narrator, but the only voice is "Sam" and all that comes out is a deepish rumbling mutter, no recognizable words. I wonder how to access other voices - and, in fact, how to use the feature altogether.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 10:53 pm
Microsoft Narrator is pretty limited, but you have some control over pitch and speed. Type or copy-and-paste the following into your browser's address bar, then click "Go" or hit <Enter> to open Narrator's Help File - get an idea of what can be done (which ain't much).

%systemroot%\Help\reader.chm

When you first open Narrator, its control panel likely will be hidden under one of those "Don't show this message again" boxes; either drag the box away, click "OK" or just close it with the red-box "X", and you should see Narrator's control panel.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 10:55 pm
it was kind of cool but I need to go read the help stuff
0 Replies