Challie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 11,149 • Replies: 5
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:36 am
There are innumerable run commands. What are you trying to accomplish?

Windows XP Help has a fairly good section on command line tools - open the run box, type or copy-and-paste the following into it:

%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

Click "OK" or hit <Enter> and browse around some.
0 Replies

Challie

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:15 am
Hi Timbers
I thought it might be handy to have a list of them.
I have been trying to use one recommended in MS windows XP 50 best tips ever, but when I type it in I get a notice saying its not recognised. in case your interested its tip No 04, eg sfc/scannow. any good?
Regards
Challie
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:20 am
Type (without the quotes) sfc /scannow" - mind the space between "sfc" and "/scannow" - gotta pay attention to syntax.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 12:04 pm
Calling such programs "Run Codes" is very inaccurate, to the point that I had no idea what you were talking about until Timber clarified a bit.

I think what you mean is "command line tools", i.e. programs designed to be run from a command prompt (enter cmd in the "run" box to access the command prompt), most of which will not have any sort of graphical user interface. For a list of built-in Windows command line tools, the help file Timber referenced seems very good and is more complete than references I've seen online (if you looked hard enough you could probably find the same list on one of Microsoft's websites).

Or maybe what you're really interested in is little-known built-in Windows programs that are not listed on the Start menu.

Getting back to the term "Run Codes", technically, every single file (not only programs) on your computer, as well as any URL, internal DOS command, etc. can be accessed from the "Run" window. Hence the term "Run Code" is among the least descriptive technical terms I've ever heard.

sfc.exe (the program you are running when you enter "sfc /scannow"), which is located at %windir%\system32\, uses a GUI and would not even be considered a command-line tool by many, so launching it from the "run" window is no different than e.g. entering "iexplore" for Internet Explorer. All you're doing is launching the program via its executable's filename (and passing it the parameter "scannow"). Any number of programs support any number of command line parameters...deatils should be accessible via the individual programs' help files.

Many, many things can be done from the command line in Windows XP. More will be possible in Windows Vista, and much more still will be possible in the next version of Windows Server.
0 Replies

Challie

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 05:52 am
Monger wrote:
Calling such programs "Run Codes" is very inaccurate, to the point that I had no idea what you were talking about until Timber clarified a bit.

I think what you mean is "command line tools", i.e. programs designed to be run from a command prompt (enter cmd in the "run" box to access the command prompt), most of which will not have any sort of graphical user interface. For a list of built-in Windows command line tools, the help file Timber referenced seems very good and is more complete than references I've seen online (if you looked hard enough you could probably find the same list on one of Microsoft's websites).

Or maybe what you're really interested in is little-known built-in Windows programs that are not listed on the Start menu.

Getting back to the term "Run Codes", technically, every single file (not only programs) on your computer, as well as any URL, internal DOS command, etc. can be accessed from the "Run" window. Hence the term "Run Code" is among the least descriptive technical terms I've ever heard.

sfc.exe (the program you are running when you enter "sfc /scannow"), which is located at %windir%\system32\, uses a GUI and would not even be considered a command-line tool by many, so launching it from the "run" window is no different than e.g. entering "iexplore" for Internet Explorer. All you're doing is launching the program via its executable's filename (and passing it the parameter "scannow"). Any number of programs support any number of command line parameters...deatils should be accessible via the individual programs' help files.

Many, many things can be done from the command line in Windows XP. More will be possible in Windows Vista, and much more still will be possible in the next version of Windows Server.
Thank you Timber for your help I did post a thankyou after your last message but I see its not in the thread so I must have done something wrong, anyway thanks again,
Thank You to Monger
I read all your info very carefully but I only understood about 10% of it, anyway I,ve printed it for future referance should I ever develope a brain.
thanks again Mates
Challie
0 Replies