The Asexuality of Isaac Newton and Others

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 03:13 am
Chumly wrote:

The question is: do asexual men have erections while sleeping and/or nocturnal emissions (wet dreams)?

The question is: do female asexuals have sexual responses while sleeping?

As far as I remember what I've read - that's about 10 to 15 years ago - asexual was (more) not to have the desire to have sex with others.

But I might be wrong.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 03:17 am
Right, but in sleep other responses may come to the forefront; sexual responses that do not manifest themselves when awake.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 01:10 pm
Was reading about Walt Whitman recently.

No record of homo or hetero relations. He writes like he rolled around in the forest and had sex that way. <tongue in cheek emoticon>

I think he was pretty busy "loving" himself....

Does anyone know?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:43 pm
It lends itself to an entertaining speculation that healthy asexuals may have a higher than average potential for other endeavors given that they are unencumbered by sexuality.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:46 pm
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:48 pm
Yes. There was a study produced by Jerry Seinfeld. George was cut off from his mononuecleosis-addled girlfriend, and became brilliant.

The same thing happened when Elaine cut off her med school boyfriend, so he could pass the MCAT.

So, obviously we should all be celibate.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:51 pm
The first two sentences made me smile.
The last sentence make me look for the Vaseline!

Smile
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:52 pm
The first two sentences made me smile.
The last sentence make me look for the Vaseline or my wife, whichever comes to hand Smile
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:06 pm
Look at Isaac Newton's biography and it could probably explain some of his problems. He was born small and sickly child and raised by his grand parents I think in a farm so physically it might have affected his biological makeup. In addition, I have seen a picture of his death mask and it shows that one eye is lower than the other. He seems to be disfigured. His portraits might be 'artistic license'.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:12 pm
Thanks for Whitman info, Chumly.
0 Replies

Edi27

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 05:16 am
@Phoenix32890,
I am an exact example of that. I have no interest in masturbation, or sexual fantasies, or even non-sexual intimacy (i.e., purely emotional relationship). I haven't born like that, but I lost all mentioned interests (I can say comprehensively) over the period of my 17-19 years old age, and even without experience of contact with some woman. I explain the reason; I became engrossed in physics since my childhood starting doing research at the age 14 at university-postgraduate level, aiming to solve the unsolved problem of Yang-Mills... Due to strong attraction and passion towards physics, studying were causing a high state of mind like a manic excitation, and even one masturbation was causing me to a very severe depression for even sometimes over a month, the mood that never heard from any other people (who were studying physics for job, ...); so I had press myself to get rid of any emotional and sexual interests and committed myself to be celibate. It's more than 8 years now I haven't done masturbation and never felt emotional or sexual interests (even to a bimbo).
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 02:49 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Smile
From the viewpoint that one of the main social functions of religion is to regulate human sexuality, it is axiomatically "their business".

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 02:59 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
Other notable asexual individuals are Glenn Gould, a Canadian pianist,

that turned out not to be true

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2007/08/25/the_secret_life_of_glenn_gould.html

Quote:

Now, for the first time, we know that the intensely private Gould carried on an affair for five years, beginning in 1967, with a married German-American painter named Cornelia Foss. She left her husband Lukas, himself a prominent pianist and conductor, and moved her two children to Toronto at the height of the affair. A year before her move, Gould had asked her to marry him.

<snip>

At her summer home in the Hamptons, Foss spoke to me recently – her first published interview on the subject – about life with Glenn Gould.
It is a story of obsession and heartbreak. Most of all, it is the rarest of windows into the guarded inner life of one of the 20th century's most compelling, and mystifying, artistic figures.

"I think there were a lot of misconceptions about Glenn and it was partly because he was so very private," Foss said.

"But I assure you, he was an extremely heterosexual man. Our relationship was, among other things, quite sexual."

http://www.quillandquire.com/review/the-secret-life-of-glenn-gould-a-genius-in-love/

Quote:
Frances Batchen, a fellow musician who presided over a multidisciplinary bohemian salon in postwar Toronto, stands out among the women with whom he became involved. She was the first of two women to refuse a marriage proposal from Gould. Her personality comes through vividly in Michael Clarkson’s book, no doubt partly because the author was able to interview her in person, whereas a number of other subjects were available only by phone or e-mail (and one of them remained true to her vow of silence).

Batchen left Canada in 1956 following a romantic overlap with Gladys Shenner, a writer sent by Maclean’s to interview Gould, only to become the next key player in the long melodrama of his private life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:46 pm
Interesting thread - I'm glad it was resurrected.
0 Replies