RexRed

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:17 pm
neologist wrote:
Good discussion here.

Thanks Neo, I don't mind if I do... Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:17 pm
The first unambiguous Triune God reference to be found in Christian writings appears during the latter 2nd Century, in the works of Theophilus of Antioch, though the concept presented is not the same as the contemporary Trinity. Never the less, the treatment strongly indicates the idea was not new, nor original to Theophilus.

By the late 4th or early 5th Century, the Trinity concept almost as known today was a central, if perhaps not yet dogmatic, article of faith, proclaimed in what has become known as the Trinitarian Creed, the QUICUNQUE VULT (for its opening words in Latin - though most scholars believe it most likely originally was written in Greek), or, most commonly, the Athanasian Creed, but which whatever its origin almost certainly was not - could not have been - written by early Church Father Athanasius.

Athanasius, a participant in the Nicean Councils of the early 4th Century, was however a staunch proponent of Homoousion, the principle that God the Father and God The Son in the person of Jesus Christ were "of one substance". Largely through Athanasius' efforts, this principle was incorporated into the Nicene Creed, arguably a foundational document for what has become today's Christianity. In the late 6th Century, with the adoption into the Nicene Creed of the Filioque Clause and its being finally "set in stone" nearly 500 years later by Pope Leo IX (occasioning The Great Schism ), (discussed also Here and Here ), the contemporary Trinity became a dogmatic article of Christian faith.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:15 pm
Good post, timber. Of course the trinity had been known to pagans for centuries.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:19 pm
Quite a common theme among pre-Christian, even pre-Judaic, pagan religions, as are a very great many of the themes found in the Abrahamic mythopaeia.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:22 pm
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:25 pm
Too much agreement here. What's up?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:44 pm
I guess we're not Catholics.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:51 am
The Trinity must die... Smile

I have been racking my brain all night... Excellent post Timber especially Theophilis (He reminds me of myself).

That was very good reading...
So were the other documents thought but they require much thought to follow along...

I have some patches to finish but I read most of it.

Especially the part about where the holy spirit comes from God, Christ or both.

Have you actually read all of those documents?

I would suggest we all read and study and take notes on the list of links that Timber posted and discuss them in vast detail...

Break each point down...
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:10 am
Quote:
The Trinity must die..

Why?

Will God be insulted?

Will he be offended?

Will he care?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:35 am
neologist wrote:
Good post, timber. Of course the trinity had been known to pagans for centuries.

It is both unfortunate and disgusting that christians and muslims can condition a discussion of comparative religion to accept the contention that anyone not subscribing to the Abrahamic myopia is a pagan.

"Pagans" have provided the world with a hell of a lot more useful knowledge, and beautiful art and culture than a whole sackful of christian or muslim jihadists, whose favorite passtime is blowing "pagans" or "infidels" to little bits . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:50 am
Didn't mean to offend by using the term pagan. Should I have used pre Christian instead?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:56 am
RexRed wrote:
... Have you actually read all of those documents?

Yup. And volume upon volume beyond just those. Many under the stern eyes and stout sticks of Jesuits. Some to the point of being able to recite them ... in Latin.

And thanks to both Neo and yourself, Rex, for the kind words.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:32 am
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:

It is both unfortunate and disgusting that christians and muslims can condition a discussion of comparative religion to accept the contention that anyone not subscribing to the Abrahamic myopia is a pagan.

"Pagans" have provided the world with a hell of a lot more useful knowledge, and beautiful art and culture than a whole sackful of christian or muslim jihadists, whose favorite passtime is blowing "pagans" or "infidels" to little bits . . .

What are you talking about? Christian art has far surpassed that of the pagans... (Including Hollywood's pagan love affair)

There are probably ten thousand Christian songs written daily in America alone.

How many pagan radio stations have you tuned into lately, Set?

How many Christian Churches are in this country that are adorned with Christian art in culture?

Hundreds of thousands... Each with unique Christian art made by Christian hands...

The Christians have the pagans beat hands down...

Even with the blending of paganism into Christianity most Christian art is still Christian dealing with Bible stories not pagan stories...

In fact most Christians abhor paganism unknowing that paganism has entered into the most holy of faiths...

I will admit the pagans did do art but compared the the Christian art spread throughout Europe the world and the US it is infinitesimal...

Also considering that the Muslim religion is derived from Christ Jesus their art can be included in the Christian list... Also considering the art of Judaism is quite against paganism thus it too is not that far off from Christian art and culture...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:46 am
Muslims do not do representational art--and it is idiotic to contend that "the Muslim religion is deirved from Christ Jesus."

When you have something to say which is not completely idiotic and willfully stupid, i might be inclined to reply, RR. Otherwise, your insipid prejudice for your personal favorite superstition is of no interest to me.

Neo, "pre-Christian" suffers from the same idiotic attitude, in that it is referential to your preferred superstition. If you have a specific religion in mind, name it--unless, of course, you can't because you don't know what the hell you're taling about.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:03 am
My, aren't we testy this morning ... do hope you feel better soon, and get back to shredding the fabric of silly presentations as opposed to snapping at the ankles of the presenters.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:40 am
timberlandko wrote:
My, aren't we testy this morning ... do hope you feel better soon, and get back to shredding the fabric of silly presentations as opposed to snapping at the ankles of the presenters.

Set seems to only have daggers for me. That is usually a sign of someone insecure about their position...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:43 am
Setanta wrote:
Muslims do not do representational art--and it is idiotic to contend that "the Muslim religion is deirved from Christ Jesus."

When you have something to say which is not completely idiotic and willfully stupid, i might be inclined to reply, RR. Otherwise, your insipid prejudice for your personal favorite superstition is of no interest to me.

Neo, "pre-Christian" suffers from the same idiotic attitude, in that it is referential to your preferred superstition. If you have a specific religion in mind, name it--unless, of course, you can't because you don't know what the hell you're taling about.

Mohammed brought Jesus Christ of Nazareth (PBUT) to Islam... So you don't know what you are talking about Set... It is you who are reasoning from some dysfunctional view...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:48 am
If need be Set I can show you Muslim art depicting Jesus as a prophet...

http://members.surfeu.at/veitschegger/isa_hg.jpg

Christians should revere Mohammed for bringing Jesus to his people...
0 Replies