I covet my neighbor's dog

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:58 am
He's a handsome beast, for sure.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 11:18 am
Boomer, why not go over to your neighbors, introduce yourself, and offer to dog sit when they're next out of town? Nothing pressure-y, and you wouldn't stay there, of course, just, Jack could stay at my place, he's a sweet dog, I'd love to take care of him. Nothing else.

They might be relieved to know that someone out there thinks their dog is neat. They might be relieved to know that they can leave home and the dog will have a caretaker. They might foist him on you. Or, they'll freak (they sound like folks who might). Anyway, that would be a way to approach them without being too in your face about it, plus you would not be committed.

Also -- given that it's not practical to have the beast until/unless he's trained, do you have friends who would foster him during several weeks of dog training?

PS He seems to be mainly Great Dane, with uncropped ears. I don't think there's any Lab in him, he just looks Lab-ish because of the undocked ears. A Lab would be smaller and generally stockier, but then again I'm only basing this on a coupla photos, but a dog that big with short hair is likely to be close to 100% Dane.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 11:21 am
..And it may prompt them to pay a wee bit more attention to Jack.... maybe.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 11:41 am
That would be ideal dag - for them to simply pay some attention to Jack.

I don't these are the kind of neighbors you just knock on the door and make out of the blue offers to, jespah. They're a little odd.

That's why I was thinking maybe just knock part of the fence down so Jack could come over to play and I could get a better sense of what Jack is all about.

I don't know that much about Great Danes but Jack seems awful lanky to be full blood. He doesn't have that massive chest that I associate with GDs. He's still young though....
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 11:56 am
Do they leave him a place for to go inside, like a dog house in case it rains? Do they leave him water?

If they're not doing either of those two things it's grounds for calling animal rescue.

They have basic laws about treatment of pets--
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 12:17 pm
Ohhh! Look at those big sad puppy eyes! That would be tough to see every time you go out into your yard.

And--oh no--now when you come inside to the computer-- I'm making big sad puppy eyes at you too!! <whimpers>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/House/Jack.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 12:24 pm
Yes he has a dog house and yes they seem to leave him water and food. He seems healthy.

I searched through some photos and found some GDs that are lanky and not as jowly/square headed as you expect the breed to be so perhaps is is a plain old dane.

Interestingly, ever site about Dane behavor warns that these are inside dogs - not yard dogs - and that they will become destructive and surly if not given a lot of human contact.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 12:43 pm
boomerang wrote:

I don't know that much about Great Danes but Jack seems awful lanky to be full blood. He doesn't have that massive chest that I associate with GDs. He's still young though....

Great Danes are extremely lanky until they fill out. All legs!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 01:05 pm
Oh, he's so handsome. Why not ask them if you can take him for a walk, etc. They might appreciate it. Next thing you know, they;ll be sleep overs.

I have a feeling they have him to scare off potential prowlers and can't be bothered with him otherwise...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 01:49 pm
Gala wrote:
Do they leave him a place for to go inside, like a dog house in case it rains? Do they leave him water?

If they're not doing either of those two things it's grounds for calling animal rescue.

They have basic laws about treatment of pets--

Bah. You know you're a redneck if your porch collapses and 10 of your hounds are killed.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 04:50 pm
Gala wrote:
Oh, he's so handsome. Why not ask them if you can take him for a walk, etc. They might appreciate it. Next thing you know, they;ll be sleep overs.

I ended up with a kid that way. You'd think a dog would be a cinch!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:50 am
boomerang wrote:
Gala wrote:

I ended up with a kid that way. You'd think a dog would be a cinch!

And look how that turned out! Very Happy

(I know, not helping...but it's true!)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:01 am
http://www.artpaw.com/greatdane2dt.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:18 am
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/31863/budweiser_ad/
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 05:20 pm
Thanks cjhsa but I've got no media capabilities on my computer least it distract me from my actual work (ha ha - thank god for A2K)

Anyway....

Mo and I were working in the yard today and I noticed Jack's people notice us noticing Jack -- several times.

Later, Jack's man person came out and ACTUALLY PLAYED WITH JACK for about 5 minutes.

That is the first time I have ever seen that happen.

Maybe knowing that someone notices will have some good effect....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 05:22 pm
I hope that effect is long-lived....
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 03:21 pm
what a pitty I ahte it when people get dogs cos they want the dog then the novelty wears off and they either ignore it get rid of it (to an animal shelter) or put it down, it seems to happen more with big dogs because they are such cute puppies and then huge demanding beasts. (i got one so i know)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 12:56 pm
Wondering what ever happened about Jack? That was before you moved, right? Or was it?
0 Replies