I covet my neighbor's dog

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:48 pm
And I need someone to talk me out of this.

Let's call him Jack.

Jack is so beautiful. Maybe a mix of Great Dane and Labrador. He's this leggy black beauty. He is oh my god pretty.

He's maybe a bit more than a year old and stands about 2 1/2 feet tall. He is so sweet. So gentle.

So ignored.

I never see his people play with him. Ever. They never come into the yard and Jack never goes into the house. I suppose they come out to feed him but that's it.

Jack stares at us through the fence all day long. He is so happy when we talk to him. We take him treats and pet him and he is in dog heaven.

He really wants contact.

I keep thinking of asking if they will give him to me and I really think they would.

I have two old high maintence dogs who probably would not welcome an interloper.

And Jack is not really well socialized - he's destructive. He has torn apart their yard and everything in it. The old neighbors were good friends and they had an absolutely magnificent yard -- it is all gone.

I feel sorry for Jack. He isn't abused so I don't really think I can call the dog cops about him but it just breaks my heart that this magnificent animal is so ignored and unloved.

I can't afford another dog. I don't need another dog. I really can't have another dog.

But I want Jack bad enough that I've though about stealing him.

I've even tried to interest other people I know in Jack because Jack needs a companion.

So. I dunno....

What should I do about Jack?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,589 • Replies: 57
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:51 pm
Oof.

Mebbe just offer to take him for walks, when his people are gone? That will be doing them a favor (nice and neighborly), he'll get some fun/ contact, but it won't be as big of a deal as taking him on, completely. (The yard-destruction doesn't sound like it would mix well with the gardening thing you and Mo have going on...)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:56 pm
Steal the ******, dye it blue, call it a blue heeler, put one of your old dogs down. Tough love!

Don't let a good dog down.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:58 pm
I think he just destroys the yard because he's bored. If we step foot in our backyard (Jack's yard backs up to ours) Jack has he head through the fence watcing us and wanting us to pet him.

The back of Jack's house is covered with paw prints where you can tell that he has tried to attract the attention of the occupants.

Taking him for a walk would be dangerous, I think, for me and for him. Given the opportunity, Jack would be gone - running harem scarum through the streets.

I've seen dogs that have been trapped in this cycle before.

People get a dog not knowing how much work they can be.

The dog tears something up and is banished outside.

Paying attention to the dog becomes a hassle.

The dog behaves worse because nobody pays attention to him.

The dog behaves bad so less attention is payed to him.

Blahblahblahblahblah.

The dog gets loose and runs away from home.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:59 pm
Put my dog down!?

Are you fukkin nuts?

Go away you monster!!!!!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:05 pm
Ok! OK! Make it three then.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:06 pm
Remember, Jack shits.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:17 pm
Okay well there is that.

But as of this morning I **** too and nobody has consigned me to a life of solitary confinement.

But yeah, there is that. I've got daily poop patrol on two big dogs right now and it isn't fun.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:30 pm
How could Jack get away if you walked him on a leash?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:33 pm
Jack is BIG and young and strong and is not used to being anywhere outside of his backyard.

If I walk Jack I have to take Mo.

If Jack got nutty and I had to make a decision.....

Walking a big, strong untrained dog takes REAL effort.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:37 pm
But mayyyyyyybe.....

If I knock another plank out of the fence, Jack could probably get in my yard. If Jack could get in my yard I might have a chance to socialize Jack......

(Ack! Ack! I know me too well! It all starts off with someone crawling through the fence and the next thing you know......)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:54 pm
I think you'll have Jack **** all over your yard.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:01 pm
Ohhhhh, PLEASE do something for Jack!!! Do it for me because I wish so much I was there to do it. Sad

Couldn't you try the walkies thing at least once and see if he goes nutso? Maybe put him on a leash in your yard and see if he is impossible to deal with, and if it works, just add a little more distance at a time until he's less excitable? I dunno, there has to be something to do about it.

Also, I think it's pretty likely, as you mentioned, that if he wasn't bored and neglected he wouldn't be so destructive, so maybe your yard needn't be a concern...? I could probably drive there from Cali every now and then to help with poop patrol...[size=7]maybe...[/size]
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:20 pm
cyphercat! Please stop! This is a "talk me out of it" thread.

I'm in the kitchen cooking dinner watching Jack watch me and then I come in here and read this!!

Uggggghhhh.

Maybe I will start knocking the planks out. The neighbors would probably never notice.

But my well loved dogs are old. One of them is chronically ill and the other is starting to have health problems.

Luckily my cat loves dogs but I don't know how Jack feels about cats.

I would really like to help Jack but at what expense to my own pets?

If I could rehabilitate him I could probably find him a great home.

Truly I am not worried about Jack ****. Scooping poop is a great way to keep on top on a pet's health. (But company is always welcome.)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:34 pm
That sucks. My sister stupidly bought a Rotty pup, while she was doing a medical residence and her fiance at the time was working full time. Nobody gave it enough attention. She had my mom(who has no clue about raising a dog) "watch" it for a month or so. Dog would just bark constantly in the middle of the night, jump all over you, had zero obedience. She finally gave the dog away when it was 6-7 months old, maybe a little older. I wonder if the dog was ever able to be properly trained at that point.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:38 pm
Some dogs refuse to be trained from birth. Often our sense of cuteness ignores the strongheadedness.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:39 pm
You know you're gonna do it. You want Jack. Jack wants you. Nobody else wants Jack. You could make him happy. That's tough to ignore and you won't be able to. I wouldn't be either. I think the suggestion to offer take care of him every now and then is good. Maybe you could first visit him in his backyard, take him for a 3 minute walk, then 5 minutes, 10....

Peux ces que veux, alons-y!
(Where there's a will, there's a way, let's go! - that's what Romeo Dallaire wrote at the end of his faxes from Rwanda where he was in charge of the UN mission to the UN headquarters asking for more forces - whew, where did that come from?)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:40 pm
http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0RgAAAEEWIy0BDvpakY7eGDknJyvheCfuNbdVY7i74p05ALCXMrrSCom61cY3mFMSANYMYw3HLdL*0edx7VbmO6ejmeckZFCIolGl3KtJIJ4/skyler.jpg

I'd be willing to bet this guy hits your cute button. Belongs to my wife's cousin. Huge pain in the ass.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:42 pm
Take Jack off your neighbor!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:50 pm
Boomer, I so want you to be this dog's mommy, but let's take it slow. Dogs are pack animals and what is being done to this dog is not fair. Maybe you could just start by sharing him and giving him some attention with the owner's permission. It would be a trial and if it goes well you could approach the owner about keeping him. All dogs are trainable and you need to find out what he knows and what he needs to learn. He is definitely destroying the yard out of boredom. Would you have to walk him or could you deal with him just pooping in the yard? Does he get along well with your existing dogs? Older dogs often just ignore a new younger dog. Do you have any dog trainers in your area that could evaluate him? I think the dog gods would bless you just for trying to make this happen. In the meantime give him an extra scratch behind the ear and slip him a couple of cookies from me.
0 Replies