I covet my neighbor's dog

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:55 pm
I don't think that dogs refused to be trained. And yes, that puppy hits my "cute button" and that is the problem with babies of any sort. They're cute.

I'll have to sneak out and take a photo of Jack - he is elegant and beautiful but that isn't it, that isn't why I covet Jack.

My neighbors are a little freaky. They aren't very friendly. Mo threw our only front door key through the fence gap a few months ago. I made a huge sign saying such and hung it on the fence. Two weeks later this timid girl shows up at my door, hands me the key and leaves without a single word.

If I went over and said "can I walk your dog" they'd probably call an exorcist or something.

If I knocked some planks out of the fence and simply stole the dog it would probably be better.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:59 pm
FREE JACK!! Razz

Helpful, ain't I? I do wanna see a pic of him tho. That puppy photo cjhsa put up has melted me inside.

I hate when stuff like this happens! Pauvre Jacques. If only there were somewhere to take him ....the Great Escape.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:09 pm
Can't hurt just to offer, that you'll walk the dog when they're not home. Tell them how much you love dogs.

Except I'd leave the part out about all the scientific research you use dogs for.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:19 pm
See! I'm not the only one being bad and not talking you out of it!

If you reeeeeeally just want to be talked out of it, then I won't say anything else, because I'm no good at talking people out of taking in new animals, I'm only good at coming up with reasons why it's a good idea. That's why I ended up with the neighor's guinea pig even though I already had two cats and two rabbits. But it did end up being an absolutely great decision to go ahead and take him....not that I'm hinting or anything.... Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:22 pm
OK, here's my best shot at talking you out of it.

Think about your life. Just take a few minutes, roll various aspects around, get the flavors going.

OK.

Now, would you like your life to be even more complicated than it already is?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:43 pm
Right. But but but you're gonna be seeing that dog every single day through your window.... Who could take that? Not boomer, without doing anything.... At least some visiting rights or whatnot.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:48 pm
Okay. Yes. My life is overly complicated right now.

Since the weather has turned nice I've been thinking about Jack a bit more but today Jack did something that really made me start thinking "rescue".

Mo is probably Jack's best friend. Mo pets Jack and gives Jack treats all of the time. Today Mo was playing and I was working in the back yard when Mo fell out of his tree house. It was a pretty big falll and I completely freaked out.

And so did Jack.

Jack was nearly as frantic as I was.

That is when I really strarted thinking of freeing Jack.

Mo is fine.

I'm fine-ish.

I don't need another dog. I can't afford another dog -- I can hardly afford the dogs I have now.

I don't need another dog.

I can't afford another dog.

I don't need another dog.

I can't afford another dog.

ad infinitum.

But I totally dig Jack.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:53 pm
How about just cranking up the time you spend with Jack until you older dog goes to doggie heaven? Maybe you should have attached a poll to this thread.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:54 pm
Oooh, the fall does sound freaky. I know that's something you've worried about from day one of the treehouse, glad things are fine.

I gave it my best shot.

I do think that there should be a halfway point if you're determined -- not just plain adopt him, but the walking thing or something so you can halt the process and/ or turn back if need be.

While I just want you to be happy and sane 'cause I like you, there are people and animals who are dependent on your sanity and relative happiness -- if you find that prioritization needs to happen, it would be good if you have the freedom to do so.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:57 pm
Um. Why do these people have this dog, I wonder. Possibly to ward off invaders?

Of course I want you to rescue him, but the communication seems so slim...
And he will be a big boy fairly shortly..
dunno what to say.

meanwhile, Pacco and I have moved to Dogville. So far so good...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:07 pm
ooohhhhh, jack loves mo. mo loves jack. boomer loves mo and jack. jack loves boomer.

i'm sorry. i can't talk you out of anything. not able to.

see, there was Jasmine. She was a dog tied to a chain of the house of a man who was a neighbor to the woman where I used to go housecleaning. That was in Durham, NC. The woman was young, we became friends of sort. Her neighbor went away for some 10 days and totally abandoned Jasmine. We started caring for her, everyday. She had flees and worms and ear mites. She was in despicable condition. But a very happy, giving dog. Took her to vet, bathed her at least five times in a row, fed her, watched her get stronger. She couldn't even run more than ten paces, she had no muscle mass. The guy was gone twice in a short span of time, so we had about a month to get Jasmine all healthy and happy and beautiful. Sandra (the woman I housecleaned for) asked the man upon his return if she can have or at least look after the dog. He said flat out No and was actually pissed off for us 'trespassing' on his property to take care of the poor dog - who would be unfed for 10-12 days in a row otherwise.... We couldn't save Jasmine.... So that's where my 'go for it!!!' comes from.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:10 pm
Boomer, I don't envy you this situatio. I have friends in GA who have tried to go through proper channels to get abused dogs help. The proper channels don't work so well. So, they now liberate dogs who they feel are severely abused. One or more hosueholds take time to foster the dogs until homes can be found for them.

Here, we have no-kill shelters who, if they have room, will take in animals and place them.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your decision and the outcomes of those decisions.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:12 pm
Dag, I have a similar story, but the dog I know of "just slipped his chain" one night and the crappy owner thought the dog ran away. Actually, it's best to call the ASPCA in such matters.

Boomer, I think you can do a lot for this dog, even if he's not in your yard.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:31 pm
Re: I covet my neighbor's dog
"Boomer, I think it's time we had a little talk."
< Chumly coughs authoritatively, puts on spectacles, ignites a robust Cuban >
"Please lie down on the couch over there."

< Boomer eases her massive bulk into the sweet smelling old leather, the couch's aging teak frame protests under the intense mass >

"Now Boomer pay attention and put down that hamburger!"
< Boomer looks up apprehensively at the wise and thoughtful face of Chumly, reluctantly puts the hamburger onto her engorged abdomen >

"Is this a gentile coveting on a purely spiritual level?"
< Boomer squirms and looks away, her face bright red >

"Or does it somehow infect itself as a deeper disease? Given that you have provided such an intimate and anthropomorphic moniker to the poor canine?"
< Boomer's face contorts as large tears squeeze out between the rolls of fat around her beady little eyes >

"I think you had best try and relax and tell me all about your domineering mother"
< Boomer lets out a massive sigh like a truck tire deflating, and while stuttering and sobbing uncontrollably, explains the sordid details leading to her obsession with Jack the dog >
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:37 pm
Just meant purely as humor as I am sure you are a svelte & wonderful person and you have always been very kind to me!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:57 am
Ha!

I suppose I could blame my mother. I come from a long line of rescuers.

Jack isn't really abused. He appears to be very healthy. He's just lonely. I don't have any idea of why they have this dog. I have a hunch that Jack just turned out to be more work than they anticipated.

I also don't think that Jack has that watch dog spirit.

I really don't communicate with these people which is why I think they'd be freaked out if I just knocked on their door and asked if I could walk or play with Jack.

I think some kind of transition between Jack living there and Jack living here would work best.

I should probably mind my own business but if you could see how attention starved this dog is I think you'd feel the same way I do.

With spring finally here I know we will be spending a lot more time in our back yard. I guess we'll have to see what develops.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:23 am
boomer, if the dog is being fed and has adequate housing, I don't think there is anything you can do legally.

God that is so sad....

Poor baby. All he wants is love.

Someone probably thought "Oh look at that cute puppy!" and when Jack started getting bigger and dropping huge piles on the floor, they thought "Hm, not so cute anymore."

Unfortunately, this is a problem with people. Puppy impulse buying, which is why I abhor pet stores.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:35 am
Here's a couple of quick snaps of Jack...

This might give you a good idea of why taking an untrained Jack on a little walk might be a bit of an ordeal. This fence is 5 feet high.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/House/jack2.jpg

This is how I usually see Jack - watching Mo through the fence. Isn't he gorgeous?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/House/Jack.jpg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:49 am
Awwwwwwwww!!!!! He's adorable!

Maybe you can use Mo to get to Jack. If you see them on the street or something, just tell them they became friends through the fence and if it would be possible for Mo to play with Jack every now and then.... Rolling Eyes or something...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:54 am
That poor sad baby!!!!
0 Replies