On Spiders

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:55 pm
Almost every time I clean the swimming pool, I find wolf spiders in the water. Some are floating on top, some are drowned. Then, some have sunk to the bottom and are able to walk around down there. How long do you think one can survive in the highly chlorinated water?

When the opportunity presents itself, I take something like a sycamore leaf and extend a lifeline. The spider invariably climbs aboard and gets hauled to safety.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,446 • Replies: 66
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:39 pm
I am humbled. The only concession I make to their presence is to walk around them, or gently move them out of my way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:10 pm
I have a natural fear and hate for spiders, but I know they are essential to control insect populations. Plus, it just ain't right to let anything die like that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:28 pm
Softy
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:40 pm
I also suffered from arachnophobia in my youth. One summer I was living in small house in the highland region of Chiapas, Mexico. During that rainy season a kind of large hairless spider comes out at night everywhere. Virtually impossible not to have them in your house. With time I seem to have undergone a kind of satiation therapy. When I returned to the U.S., I felt very little anxiety around spiders. I am now able to distinguish between safe and dangerous spiders, even to the point of letting a tarantula crawl on my hand. Before they were ALL dangerous. Whenever I can, I trea them like the fascinating and ecologically necessary little" "friends" that they are; that further reduces the fear.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:42 pm
I save them and I move them. I save them when they fall into water, I move them when they are in my bedroom.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:43 pm
I used to have one that kept me company in the shower.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:45 pm
I remember that, Roger!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:48 pm
Montana screams and runs away Shocked
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 04:23 am
<Ellpus re-buttons his fly and apologises>
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 05:38 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Shocked -------- Laughing

Sometimes there are tiny little moths in my bathroom shower, and they get caught up in the water spray and stick to the floor or wall. I always try to pick them up and put them somewhere safe but sometimes they don't survive. Sad
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:05 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:06 am
Moths are cool. I'd save a moth :-)
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:55 am
I used to be terrified of spiders, well tarantulas, but for some reason I've grown out of it. (Well mostly) I've considered getting one as a pet though, I think it might help with the leftover wariness.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:00 am
I'm 42 and I don't think there is any chance of me getting over my fear of spiders. I wish there was though.
Nothing like working in my garden, bending over to pick some weeds and coming face to face with a big spider in the middle of a huge web built between two tomato plants.
Just the thought of it gives me the willies!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:57 am
I caught a tarantula once. It was crossing the road. I scooped it up in a can and kept it for a few months. One day on impulse I took it far away from human habitation and set it free.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:02 am
You're so sweet Edgar, but tell me you didn't set him free anywhere around here!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:05 am
Wolf spiders are cool.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:08 am
No no no!!! They are all scary!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:48 am
DrewDad wrote:
Wolf spiders are cool.

Shocked

Uh, no.

I used to be exteremly afraid of spiders, to the point of paralysis when I saw one. Can't move because when you move they move....didn't want it to move.

Now, having been forced to either kill it or stand there paralyzed until someone else gets home, I have over come my fear a little. If one was on me, I'd die. And it's still very hard for me to get close enough to smack one. But at least I don't have heart palpitations anymore.
0 Replies