How many rights are we willing to sacrifise for "security"?

Vega

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:51 am
How many civils rigths should be lost in order for us to be "safe"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 778 • Replies: 14
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:14 pm
Couple questions, Vega (and welcome to A2K, BTW) -

1.) What civil rights have been lost?

2.) What documented, direct, actual, concrete impact has the loss of these purportedly lost civil rights had on the day-to-cay conduct of your life, or on the life of anyone known to you?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:18 pm
Should not have?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:23 pm
Sloppy typing there - sorry. Item 2.) should read:

What documented, direct, actual, concrete impact has the loss of these purportedly lost civil rights had on the day-to-day conduct of your life, or on the life of anyone known to you?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:26 pm
I was accused of medical neglect for refusing to drug my son with Ritalin and had to flee to Canada because of it.

Does that count?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:34 pm
Well, since there's been no disclosure about who was illegally wiretapped and why, we won't really KNOW who has had their rights infringed upon, will we?

Given the current administration's penchant both for general duplicity and revenge against those it deems political enemies, it's quite likely that a large number of American citizens have had their rights violated.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:37 pm
No doubt in my mind, Blacksmithn.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:49 pm
1) Could 911 have been circumvented through better intelligence?

2) What major issues have been avoided through intelligence; Bay of Pigs et al.

3) When you apply intelligence measures to the point of imposing on rights and freedoms, do you become the equivalent of the perpetrators you are tying to protect yourself from?

4) Outside of all-out war (which I understand the present administration is wont to believe is the case now) is it better to err on the side of rights and freedoms and let a possible 911 get through?

5) Is there any way to accurately qualify and quantify the actual and/or potential abuse of our rights and freedoms versus the need to limit our rights and freedoms for the sake of security?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:02 pm
I have a soapbox issue with fingerprinting innocent people to run background checks. Seems like an invasion of privacy to me yet it's happening more and more.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:14 pm
I agree, JB.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:32 pm
Montana, to what extent would you assign responsibility for the circumstance you cite to the pertinent local school system, and in what manner might that school system be connected directly with the Federal Government?

J_B, were fingerprint identification to be unable to or be unused to exculpate as well as to inculpate, you might have a point.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:43 pm
Timber
I guess my post didn't really fit in very well here, but I figure since the schools and Child Protection Services are both government run, it all boils down to government.

Another example is the surveys which are loaded with very personal questions. If you don't fill out these surveys (I didn't), they call your home and ask you the questions over the phone.
I was pressured into answering these questions, but the only one I was willing to answer was how many people were in our household.
It's none of anyones business what time I leave for work, how many hours I work, how long it takes me to get there or how many rooms I have in my house.
I consider these questions and many more to be extremely intrusive.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:47 pm
You talking about Census Canada / Statistics Canada as I won't respond either.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:49 pm
No, I'm talking about the US. I spent most of my life over there and have only been back here for 6 years.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:51 pm
You should see the questions they ask in the US ones.
I'm surprized it doesn't ask how many times a week you have sex, although it's been 6 years so they just may be asking this now ;-)

Yes, it really is that bad.
0 Replies