Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:18 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Explain please how I'm changing the definition? LOL

hephzibah wrote:
Truth is more than just a word. More than just an idea. Truth is a lifestyle to be lived.

hephzibah wrote:
Truth:

1 a archaic : FIDELITY, CONSTANCY b : sincerity in action, character, and utterance
2 a (1) : the state of being the case : FACT (2) : the body of real things, events, and facts : ACTUALITY (3) often capitalized : a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality b : a judgment, proposition, or idea that is true or accepted as true <truths of thermodynamics> c : the body of true statements and propositions
3 a : the property (as of a statement) of being in accord with fact or reality b chiefly British : TRUE 2 c : fidelity to an original or to a standard
4 capitalized, Christian Science : GOD
- in truth : in accordance with fact : ACTUALLY
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:22 pm
Thank you for re-emphasizing my point. That is what you were doing right? Hehehe...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:34 pm
Jason, do you see my point? Do you see that the very first part of that definition is exactly what I was talking about? Truth is more than just facts, or reality... I'm not discounting the fact that facts and reality play into it. I'm just emphasizing a different aspect of truth, because facts and reality mean nothing if the person promoting it is living a lie.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:38 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Thank you for re-emphasizing my point. That is what you were doing right? Hehehe...

You're welcome, sweetheart.

You said that "truth is more than a word, more than an idea." And yet you provided various definitions of the word, which contradict your previous statement.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:40 pm
Please see my post just above yours.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:53 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Please see my post just above yours.

I think this is the first definition that you are referring to:

1 a archaic: FIDELITY, CONSTANCY b: sincerity in action, character, and utterance"

The definition implies loyalty or faithfulness through "sincerity in action, character, and utterance (word)"

The definition hasn't changed, heph. It still truth of words being said through faith. And why is this so problematic in finding the "absolute truth" of a proposition?

Why would you consider this "absolute"?

And you said that "truth" is more than a word. "Truth" is just a word that describes those definitions that you just provided.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:01 pm
Look at the definition again Jason:

1 a archaic: FIDELITY, CONSTANCY b: sincerity in action, character, and utterance

Quote:
Truth is more than just a word. More than just an idea. Truth is a lifestyle to be lived.

That is more than just a word. That is a lifestyle.

Why would I consider it an absolute? Because I look at things from more than one angle most of the time. Which is what I meant to you in the first place when I said, "step outside of the box". You can't just put life within certain perimeter's and say, this is how it is. There are too many other factors that are involved. People, thoughts, actions, ideas. Life just doesn't work like that. Neither does truth.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:04 pm
"Truth" is in the eye of the beholder.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:16 pm
Come on, heph. You seem to be lost in the language.

hephzibah wrote:
Look at the definition again Jason:

I did.

hephzibah wrote:
1 a archaic: FIDELITY, CONSTANCY b: sincerity in action, character, and utterance

hephzibah wrote:

hephzibah wrote:
That is more than just a word. That is a lifestyle.

Heph, "truth" is no more than just a word. If you told me that "truth is more than these definitions (excluding the first definition)... I would have to agree with you. But since you keep saying that truth is more than a word, I would have to slap you silly and tell you that "truth" is just a word which defines the above definitions.

hephzibah wrote:
Why would I consider it an absolute? Because I look at things from more than one angle most of the time. Which is what I meant to you in the first place when I said, "step outside of the box". You can't just put life within certain perimeter's and say, this is how it is. There are too many other factors that are involved. People, thoughts, actions, ideas. Life just doesn't work like that. Neither does truth.

I don't even know what you mean here.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:22 pm
(bookmark for the truth)
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:24 pm
Awww come on now Jason... I'm not the one lost in the language... you are dear. Very lost. Because all you can seem to see is that there are words that decribe a word. Yet every word has a meaning that goes beyond just words.

Go ahead... slap me silly... I double dog dare ya... I'll open up a can of whoop a** on you so quick your head will spin! HIYA!!!! LOL

What I meant by the other things I said is simply this. Stop looking at the language because words are more than just words. They define things that are bigger than the words themselves. Look at the whole picture. Not just one part.

CI wrote:
Quote:

Wise words. Very wise words indeed.

Gotta run. Catch ya later. Very Happy
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:54 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Awww come on now Jason... I'm not the one lost in the language... you are dear. Very lost.

Is that a fact (is it the truth?)?

hephzibah wrote:
Because all you can seem to see is that there are words that decribe a word.

I see what is presented to me, dear.

hephzibah wrote:
Yet every word has a meaning that goes beyond just words.

How can this be?

hephzibah wrote:
Go ahead... slap me silly... I double dog dare ya... I'll open up a can of whoop a** on you so quick your head will spin! HIYA!!!! LOL

In order for me to slap you silly, we have to be close by.

hephzibah wrote:
What I meant by the other things I said is simply this. Stop looking at the language because words are more than just words.

Words are words with definition (s).

Not using definitions will most likely lead to misunderstandings and confusion.

hephzibah wrote:
They define things that are bigger than the words themselves.

"Bigger than the words themselves"? Can you explain it?

hephzibah wrote:
Look at the whole picture. Not just one part.

That's what I do.

hephzibah wrote:
CI wrote:
Quote:

Wise words. Very wise words indeed.

Gotta run. Catch ya later. Very Happy
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 04:16 pm
Truth?
I chuckle when I see this word bandied about as if it had meaning.
So many people offer 'the truth' and seek 'the truth' without ever asking 'the truth about what exactly?
The truth is simply that which is true, and can only have meaning within the confines of context.
'It is the truth that red is a colour' is a meaningful statement.
'It is the truth' is not.
Context.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 04:22 pm
Everything we perceive is context. If a chld was told what is commonly known as red is really blue, that child will always see that color as red. It's also true of most thing learned throughout our life. One person's truth is not always another person's truth. Context.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 04:25 pm
bookmarker
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 04:28 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Everything we perceive is context. If a chld was told what is commonly known as red is really blue, that child will always see that color as red. It's also true of most thing learned throughout our life. One person's truth is not always another person's truth. Context.

I'm not sure if this was meant as a challenge to what I said, or as an aside...
If the former, I agree wholeheartedly, fail to see any contradictions.
If the latter..neat.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:16 pm
Jason, "truthfulness" (meaning sincerity rather than deception) is what is not a lie. The opposite of "truth" is, according our language, "false" or "error", etc.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:31 pm
Be careful there, JLN. Defining the opposite of truth as false or error is highly suspect when discussing philosophical concepts.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:55 pm
All of you have neglected to examine the obvious.
How is it that the word "truth" has no meaning? In what way can a rational person think of such nonsense?

After reading so much "truthful" nonsense, I have another question for you guys.

Why does the world appear to be insane?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:59 pm
Rational people often discuss the merits of "truth." It's all part and parcel of what we believe. Truth has a universal appeal, but the biggest hurdle in trying to define truth is trying to keep it pure from personal bias.
0 Replies