Do Creationists Believe in Genes?

agrote

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 05:47 am
This thread is aimed at creationists, or at anyone who does not believe in evolution. It's just occured to me that, although I have heard many arguments from religious people against the theory of evolution (claiming that there isn't enough evidence to support it, etc.), I actually have no idea whether these people actually believe in genes/DNA/chromosomes...

Do creationists (Christian, Muslim, or whatever) believe that all living things are made of microscopic cells, each of which has a nucleus containing a specific set of genes, unique to every organism?

I know that many creationists do not accept the theory of evolution as a whole, but do they accept bits of it, such as the existence of genes, or the idea that they are passed on through generations?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,122 • Replies: 31
No top replies

real life

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 07:42 pm
Re: Do Creationists Believe in Genes?
agrote wrote:
This thread is aimed at creationists, or at anyone who does not believe in evolution. It's just occured to me that, although I have heard many arguments from religious people against the theory of evolution (claiming that there isn't enough evidence to support it, etc.), I actually have no idea whether these people actually believe in genes/DNA/chromosomes...

Do creationists (Christian, Muslim, or whatever) believe that all living things are made of microscopic cells, each of which has a nucleus containing a specific set of genes, unique to every organism?

I know that many creationists do not accept the theory of evolution as a whole, but do they accept bits of it, such as the existence of genes, or the idea that they are passed on through generations?

Of course creationists believe in genes! My favorite is my Levi's 501s. They are very comfy and stylish.

(What a question!) Laughing
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:10 pm
". . .Levi's 501s. They are very comfy and stylish. "

Yeesh. Clearly you are not a reliable source. Razz
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 12:17 am
You guys are disrespecting perfectly fine thread.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 12:50 am
real life wrote:
agrote wrote:

Of course creationists believe in genes! My favorite is my Levi's 501s. They are very comfy and stylish.

That's not funny! You offend me.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:19 am
agrote wrote:
real life wrote:
agrote wrote:

That's not funny! You offend me.

I didn't mean to denimstrate any disrespect.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:59 am
real life wrote:

you took the joke right outta' my mouth. Laughing

actually I believe in cheap Venezia brand jeans.
cut them off at the knee and you have a great pair of shorts. Very Happy

( as you were... )
hahahahha
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 12:01 pm
I'm stumped -- you can believe that genes, non-Levi, if you look under a microscope but I think the poster meant genetics.
0 Replies

Redeemed

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 10:35 pm
All creationists that I know of believe in the existence of genes/DNA/etc. I never considered genetics to be an evolutionary concept (genetic theories are involved in the theory of evolution).

Other than that, I can't really comment. I haven't studied genetics in any detail.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:16 am
I guess genetics can't be one of the mechanisms of evolution.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 03:14 am
http://www.bioscience.org/images/genecode.jpg

Gobbledgook to me.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:36 am
Would you care for an explanation, RedRex? (No? Well, tough, because I'm going to tell you anyway).

Here is the simplified version:

DNA is short for deoxyribonucleic acid. It has four basic building blocks, adenine, guanine, cytosil, and thymine. What you've got in that picture, however, is ribonucleic acid or RNA. It's just like DNA except it's got an extra oxygen atom somewhere lurking about in its stucture. RNA, doesn't have thymine, however but uracil.

When genes are turned on, mRNA is created. It stands for messenger RNA. Basically, the DNA unzips, some protein machinery gets recruited and starts pairing up RNA molecules with DNA.

This mRNA is the message. It relays the information from the blueprint to the protein making machinery.

Once it gets there, those tRNAs you see in the diagram reads the code. The table shows you what the code means. Through random kinetics, the appropriate tRNAs bring the correct amino acids (protein building blocks) to the machinery and thread them together.

There you go. That's the simple version and it all happens through random chemical kinetics, partially driven by an energy source known as ATP (adenosine triphosphate).

You may notice the redundancy in the code. Quite a few amino acids are coded for by more than one combination of three "letters". It only makes sense when you realise how susceptible DNA is to damage. The redundancy limits the number of mutations that can occur, but it doesn't prevent mutation.
0 Replies

golf97

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:59 pm
Being a Creationist (Christian) I would say that yes, every Christian that I've ever known would agree (or agree that they aren't smart enough to know) that we are "put together" by genes etc. I would, even as a strong Christian, say that I believe in many concepts of evolution on a microscopic scale. For instance the fact that with enough exposure we can defy or even become immune to certain diseases. I don't think that Christians who know what they're talking about actually believe that there is no such thing as evolution at all. I take evolution as a science, thats all. Its not a religion. I don't believe that we evolved from nothing into something by physiological means, because physiologically it can't make sense.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 12:17 am
Wolf, thanks for your info, it was very interesting. I am generally interested in most peoples opinions...
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:27 am
RexRed wrote:
Wolf, thanks for your info, it was very interesting. I am generally interested in most peoples opinions...

¬_¬ I don't know how to respond to that. My statement clearly wasn't an opinion, so I'm wondering should I take your post as a sign of sarcasm? Hm...
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:21 am
So creationists generally believe in genes then? Even the ones that say evolution is a load of rubbish?

golf97 wrote:
I don't believe that we evolved from nothing into something by physiological means, because physiologically it can't make sense.

So you don't believe that we evolved from nothing into something by physiological means. But do you believe that we and all other species evolved from single-celled life forms through physiological means?

It seems like you accept evolution as an explanation of variation between differents species of animals and plants, but not as an explanation of the origin of life. Is that correct? So for example, you might agree that we evolved from apes, but you probably believe that the earliest life forms, from which others evolved, were created by God.

Or am I guessing wrong?

If you do believe all that stuff, how do you fit it in with your beliefs about God creating the world in 7 days and stuff?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:52 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
RexRed wrote:

¬_¬ I don't know how to respond to that. My statement clearly wasn't an opinion, so I'm wondering should I take your post as a sign of sarcasm? Hm...

You also don't know how to take a compliment...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:13 am
If God supposedly created us, it was obviously by the description in Genesis from nothing. It always astonishes me that people believe this entity waved a magic wand, some Tinkerbell dust flew out into the universe and Voila!, we have Earth, the planets, the Milky Way and the countless galaxies astronomers are still detecting through increasingly more powerful telescopes. It can't be explained to them that this isn't much different than the childhood belief that Santa Clause shimmies down one's chimeny and desposits presents under the tree, or the tooth fairy removes one's lost tooth from under their pillow and leaves money. Sorry, but I never fell for any of that. DNA is not superstition, it's a scientific fact. It is also a specific mechanism in evolution. Those who can't see the forest for the trees -- look out, your forest is on fire and you don't have enough water to quell progress.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:23 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I guess genetics can't be one of the mechanisms of evolution.

You've got the argument backwards. If there is no evolution, then there are no mechanisms for it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:25 am
I was being sarcastic.
0 Replies