Computer hangs up while starting up.

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 01:22 pm
Hello computer tech gurus! My brother is having computer problems with his dell desktop. His computer is hanging up at the blue screen with windows xp and multi-colored flag shown. The screen where he'd normally be prompted to click his user link. That prompt doesn't show.

He's tried rebooting, unplugging and browsing the menu that pops up with pressing F2 at startup. He has his xp installation disc and is looking at his manual now. I told him to try booting after disconnecting his dsl cable.

He runs windows xp, the computer is a couple years old (not sure how old). He runs antivirus often (did in the last 24 hours). I know he hasn't run a highjack log because he didn't know what I was talking about when I asked him if he had ever done so.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 871 • Replies: 8
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 02:34 pm
bump
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 02:46 pm
Hey k.

Probably doesn't make a diff, but is it Home, or Pro??

Anon
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 06:37 pm
I would imagine it's home, but I don't know for sure.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 06:58 pm
hmmmm (bump)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 07:00 pm
well, I just got off the phone with my brother. He re-installed windows xp and is now trying to rework the dsl connection.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:12 am
A little late I suppose but in most cases if Windoze hangs with the splash screen there is a driver missing or corrupted or the user has removed a piece of hardware and the system hangs up searching for it.

Hopefully he has his system functional again already though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:35 am
The first thing I asked him was if he'd deleted any files lately, he said no. <shrug>
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 03:40 am
If he can boot to safe mode, he might be able to get a clue by going to Start>Run, type (without the quotes) "msconfig", click "OK" or hit <Enter> to open the System Configuration Utility Control Panel, and then selecting the "Boot.ini" tab. There, click to select "/BOOTLOG", click "Apply", click "OK", and reboot when prompted. Let the machine boot as far as it will, and when the bluescreen comes up, manually shut it off, then restart it in safe mode. the boot log typically will be found at C:\Windows\Ntbtlog.txt. The last item in that list likely will be the item that failed to load and hung the boot.
0 Replies