• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 468 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 06:54 am
Quote:

The longer that I live, the more that I realize how little that I know. At 17, I thought that I knew everything. But that is the nature of maturity............to realize that there is so much to learn, and so little time in which to learn it.

I think that the important thing is to always keep your mind open to the exploration of new ideas. Constantly question what you think that you already know. And don't dismiss, out of hand, anything that seems strange or exotic to you.

I will go to my grave knowing only a tiny fraction of the the stuff that is "out there". The important thing is that I keep expanding my knowledge, and not be concerned about what passes me by, or goes over my head.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 08:23 am
There is an infinite amount of things we don't know, and much of that we can't know. I don't know if it is valuable to worry about these things.

There are a number of things we know we know. In math or science we are "sure" of a number of things (in math the word "proven" has a subtly different meaning than in science), but there are questions that we safely consider resolved. In these cases, you don't need to stop questioning (and you shouldn't) but you can safely base other assumptions in the resolved topics knowing that it will take extraordinary evidence and unlikely circumstances to "disprove" something that has been widely proven.

More interesting are the things that we can know, but don't yet.

I like Phoenix idea of "expanding knowledge" and in science this is what we are doing. We have a body of things we do know, and use these to develop new theories around the edges.

Then we go exploring to check these theories. I just read exciting news about the people exploring the period of "inflation" of the Universe that followed the Big Bang.

Of course, each time we expand our knowledge it opens our eyes to new questions... things that we can study and eventually understand.

This exploration and discovery... expanding our knowledge is very exciting to me.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:07 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

The longer that I live, the more that I realize how little that I know. At 17, I thought that I knew everything. But that is the nature of maturity............to realize that there is so much to learn, and so little time in which to learn it.

I think that the important thing is to always keep your mind open to the exploration of new ideas. Constantly question what you think that you already know. And don't dismiss, out of hand, anything that seems strange or exotic to you.

I will go to my grave knowing only a tiny fraction of the the stuff that is "out there". The important thing is that I keep expanding my knowledge, and not be concerned about what passes me by, or goes over my head.

You speak of ways to think that fit closely what CT would teach. I assume you have never studied CT. I am perplexed why people like yourself seem to have zero interest or curiosity about learning more about CT. Tell me, if you will, why do you refuse to become curious enough about CT to even check into the matter. Or perhaps I am mistaken and you have studied this matter.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:11 am
Ebrown

Let me ask of you the same thing I asked of Phoenix. Why you will not take a little time and investigate what CT is about.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:44 am
Oh. This isn't a discussion thread... it is a sales thread.

I did a Wikipedia search and didn't find anything appropriate that you may be selling other than a timezone and a New England state.

Oh Please, do elaborate....
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:36 pm
0 Replies