A more precisely controlled mouse?

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 12:52 pm
I'm experimenting with Adobe Photoshop Elements, and find that my MS Wireless Intellimouse is too loosey-goosey. I can't accurately outline a portion of a picture if I want to change color, etc. I have the same trouble with my old basic wheelmouse.

I thought perhaps the problem was that the old wheelmouse was just aging, but with the same difficulty has appeared with the other. The problem also appears with basic computer games - I can't zero in on my targets. I wonder if all mice are this way.

Does anyone know of a mouse which is more precise or would buying a new simple wheelmouse be the solution?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 547 • Replies: 11
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 12:54 pm
Get an optical, or a trackball.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 01:05 pm
I've got a Logitech Laser wireless mouse - not expensive but much more precise.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 01:42 pm
The Intellimouse is optical. I seem to remember running across an adverse review when it first came out; it seemed in general perfectly serviceable, but age may have taken its toll, and, anyway, I didn't need the precision I'm now looking for.

I'll investigate the Logitech Laser mouse, Walter. It may well be just what I want.

I wonder - have you had any trouble with Logitech sneaking in unwanted software along with the basic mouse stuff? I forget what it was exactly - three years or so ago, who can remember details - but one of those nasty things you have to contact someone and opt out of after you find it sitting there all uninvited. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 01:59 pm
More precisely controlled mouse?
Walter - what's the model number of your Logitech Laser mouse? Did you get it with a keyboard or on its own?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 02:28 pm
On its own - I've a Logitech® MX™ 610 Laser Cordless Mouse , but there are various (better) models available.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 03:41 pm
Before you invest in another mouse...

Did you look in your system Control Panel and fine-tune the mouse adjustments and settings available to you?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 03:56 pm
Are you using the "magnetic lasso tool" Tomkitten?

It is much easier to use than the regular lasso tools. I think it is available on Photoshop Elements.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 04:00 pm
Probably the dumbest of dumb questions, but when was the mouse last cleaned, TomKitten?

<I can ask cuz I thought the mouse on my system about 4 jobs back was defective, and thought it needed to be waved in the air to operate properly Embarrassed it needed a thorough cleaning >
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 05:21 pm
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Logitech MX 1000 before I read the suggestions from ehBeth, fishin' and boomerang.

The mouse was cleaned a short while back. Not a dumb question, at all, BTW - it's awfully easy to forget little maintenance details like mouse-cleaning. And no, I didn't use the magnetic lasso tool, although it is available on Elements. I am a total beginning beginner.

Walter - the 610 is still available and I read some of the Amazon reviews; mostly favorable, though a couple of pretty unfriendly ones. I looked at the reviews of the 1000 and was greatly impressed.

So now I'm waiting for the Amazon free (but v e r r y s l o o w) shipment. But slow saves quite a lot of money as against Staples $79.95 with free next day delivery. I can wait. But I am greatly looking forward!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 11:20 am
I use the MX1000 too.
A better mouse I have never used.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 12:46 pm
I had - so far, anyway - a neat experience with ordering this mouse - I compared Staples and Amazon. Staples has next day delivery free for over $50 and the mouse cost $80 plus $4 local sales tax. Amazon delivers free in 7-15 days, the mouse costs $60, no sales tax. So far, so good, but wait! Better is yet to come!

Amazon emailed me that there would be a couple of weeks delay in filling the order; I asked them why, they replied that there was delay in getting the item from the manufacturer and they would bump me up to second-day delivery, no charge!

Then, Amazon told me that they have shipped the mouse, so I should have it by Monday!

Now, if the mouse itself lives up to its history thus far.. ...
0 Replies