100 greatest actors of all time

Don1

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:11 pm
Channel 4 showed this programme last night and the people in the link below were voted the top 100 actors of all time.

I disagree with the placings (for example) Michael douglas at 77 and John Wayne at 27, and there are about twenty in this hundred that I wouldn't pick in my top 1000.

What do you think? Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 15,124 • Replies: 17
No top replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:42 pm
If this is the website, it is very disappointing. It has only American actors in it and a few token Brits. There are a hundred actors in Britain who are better than any American movie star.

How arrogant or narrow minded can it be?

http://www.channel4.com/film/newsfeatures/microsites/W/worlds_greatest_actor/results_two.html
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:55 pm
Johnny Depp is the second greatest actor of all time?!?!?
detano inipo

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 01:02 pm
Orson Welles was right, although it is impossible to pick the best (or the most beautiful woman).

Raimu is the best in my book.

Orson Welles once called beloved, down-to-earth French character star Raimu "the greatest actor who ever lived." It is hard to argue the compliment of one genius to another.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0706926/bio
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 01:03 pm
Hey, Don. I can't believe that they didn't list David Niven, but I really think Johnny Depp is a fine actor.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 01:18 pm
detano inipo wrote:
If this is the website, it is very disappointing. It has only American actors in it and a few token Brits. There are a hundred actors in Britain who are better than any American movie star.

How arrogant or narrow minded can it be?

http://www.channel4.com/film/newsfeatures/microsites/W/worlds_greatest_actor/results_two.html

That's funny. Since Channel 4 is a British TV station I thought that this was a poll of the British public, or rather that is what I assumed.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 01:23 pm
Oh and who in their right mind would put Brad Pitt in a list of "Best Actors"????? The man couldn't act his way out of a paper bag! Same goes for James Dean. Just because he could play a moody young man who happened to be attractive facially and died tragically young doesn't mean he qualifies for having acting skills.

I also don't see Phillip Seymour Hoffman in this list - although I could only see 50 not 100.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 01:26 pm
I'm sorry people I forgot to post the bloody link. Embarrassed

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/movie-pages/movie_actors.html
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 01:34 pm
Well, I wondered, Don.

Kevin Spacey is awesome as is George C. Scott, and I didn't see Morgan Freeman in there.

Don't know either Heeven's or detano's actors
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 02:15 pm
Morgan Freeman is at 52 Letty
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 02:17 pm
oops, I missed that, Don.
0 Replies

ICJ123

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 12:28 pm
There are some great actors who were left out, one of them being ROY SCHEIDER. This name needs to be on the list for sure.
0 Replies

EarlofOz

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 01:05 pm
I'm not sure how I feel about this list! I think there are a number of great actors that have been omitted! My all time favorite actor is Roy Scheider. Where is he on this list?!
0 Replies

lovegreen

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 04:42 pm
I would like to agree with the two posts above me. Doesn't he have a movie coming out even though he died?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 04:43 pm
@Dartagnan,
Dartagnan wrote:

Johnny Depp is the second greatest actor of all time?!?!?

depp is good.

real good. IMO of course, and i dont think any actors are good.
0 Replies

dancingqueen

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 01:17 pm
Iron Cross is Roy's last film. The trailer looks great.
0 Replies

kcat31

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 05:49 am
Try out Michael Chekhov nephew of Anton chekhov the playwright. Stella Adler reckoned he was the greatest actor of the 20th centuary and she was
marlon brando's Teacher also stanislaviski feared him more than anyone else
in acting as he was stanislaviski's student. he done things in theatre that are unheard off and was in film too but for a short while he died in 1955. he created a whole new method of acting that is known by few
with the acception of jack nicksolon and Hopkins. I am currently studying his technique(I may be biased) but I have never heard of an actor that stirred people so much and garnered so much admiration from his peers.
Imagination is more powerful than knowledge.
He went against a lot of stanislavisk's views at the time
Also we dont know all the other great russian and european actors
that are out there. When you think about it all actors today owe
their debt to stanislavisky and all the Russians and europeans done to help modern acting.
I am not from Russia Btw and was brought up on 30,40,50's american films
with Wayne, Robinson(Another great actor),Cooper,Grant and the likes
and i loved them all.

0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 05:59 am
@Don1,
everyone acts

it could be you
0 Replies